New Pool Build - TX

Well this last week we got the decking down. They came last Saturday and worked quite a while getting it prepped. That continued Monday, then we covered up for the rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. They came and poured the decking yesterday.

Getting home last night in the dark, I thought it looked excellent. However, it was still wet from them washing it off (they apparently had just left before I got home) and it was dark. However, this morning revealed a different story. There are several areas of a lighter color. At first it looks like some type of calcium deposit, but upon closer inspection, it appears they just didn't wash off the top layer of concrete enough to expose the aggregate. So this leaves some areas of more gray (like normal concrete) vs the regular aggregate. It appears to be more pronounced around the drains, so it only makes sense that as they scrubbed and washed off that top layer, it settled in the low areas on the way to the drain.

This bothers me, but I don't know if I want to bug the PB about it on the weekend. Although its' going to eat away at me. Surely this can be fixed. Anyone else with exposed aggregate see the same stuff on a newly poured deck? Zethacat, did yours look like this? If so, did it go away?

Firepit

Problem areas

Sub base for the upper patio. Will be veneered in flagstone on Monday.

I see what you are talking about. I would shot the PB the pictures and ask him if this was normal and will it go away with a good wash/scrub or is there something else they will be doing to make it an even color all over. At least that way you will be able to sleep at night AND the PB will have a heads up that something needs to be done.

If the subs are working on Saturday the PB should also.

Kim

This is in fact very similar to what my aggregate looks like, although it gets much less pronounced once it's completely dry and so it looks more natural. Some areas are lighter than others but I can see plenty of aggregate in all sections. I didn't expect it to look like that, but I am hardly displeased with it. I think it looks good, actually. But honestly, I barely ever even notice it because there is no reason to be looking at the ground when facing the pool. ;) So I had to go outside to check just now to see if it's even still like that .. and it still is. My guess is that over time it will erode more evenly since not all pieces of gravel are exactly the same when first poured. Of course differences in the amount of sunlight hitting parts of the deck differently, as well as rain, wind, and splash-out (as well as a few drops of bleach and acid here and there) I imagine will influence the way it will look 10 years from now. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me so I never even mentioned it to PB or decking guys. I did have the same guys do some regular brushed concrete to extend my driveway, and that is perfect... so I trust they did the aggregate properly. My decking was done a company called "Super Surface" in Keller.

Well thanks Kimkats. You gave me the confidence to go ahead and text pool builder. I asked if it was normal and if there was something else to do that would fix, and he replied back quickly with a "Yes, they have to acid wash." So hopefully that'll do it!

Thanks for the info zethacat! I went back and looked at your decking and it looks really good.

They did not acid wash mine. I took some pictures just now so you can see what mine looks like after about 45 days.

IMG_2685_zps8e0d4d8a.jpg

IMG_2684_zpscaa4dbd0.jpg

IMG_2683_zps819ebb99.jpg

IMG_2682_zps2375e2ce.jpg

IMG_2681_zps9f153e27.jpg

IMG_2680_zpsf74afe47.jpg

Thanks all!

Yes I was impressed with the decking crew (after knowing that this isn't the finished look). They drilled in dowels to all of the retaining walls and tied it into the deck steel. In fact, you should've seen them taking the concrete to that upper patio. They took in a wheel barrow up and around that retaining wall on the top, with the completed wet concrete below. I have a picture on my other phone but it was certainly hair raising!

The drains are all connected to a four inch pipe that takes it downhill into the other yard.

I think the color of the aggregate goes really well with the tones in the flagstone and I like the textural difference between the aggregate and the flagstone. It's really pulled the look together with the decking in place. I still laugh about when I saw the early pictures of your shot crete and thought the steps off your patio were the steps into your pool! - karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also sealing it makes a huge difference. I was worried about mine as well, but sealing made it much better. The section they had to replace after hammering up for the leak......not so good. I think a different crew did the re-pour and there was not as much attention paid to smoothing/washing.

I love the look of the deck! I'm glad you got an answer on the deck variation. Hopefully its worse because its still curing - ours was real patchy until it all cured - although we had regular concrete - and also got a spray deck over it, so I was less concerned about patchiness.

Thanks all!

Yesterday they acid washed the deck. I think it made a little bit of difference, but as Ryno mentioned, I bet it'll look even better when it's sealed. It only looks splotchy when its completely dry, and sealing it I think will make it even out a lot more.

The stone guys worked all day yesterday and finished up. They finished putting down the flagstone on the patio, built the firepit, and fixed a few spots here and there. I'm hoping we'll continue to have more activity this week from the electrician. Things to do:

- Cut off pipes and install fittings in pool
- Finish running conduit for lights to future billboard, er...panel
- Hook up Pro Logic panel
- Get gas company to run line to propane tank
- Clean up and grade
- Plaster
- Reinstall fence

You would think all of that could be done relatively quick but we'll see. Fingers crossed!

My first panoramic picture of the project, taken from a few steps up the waterfall steps:

Finished the flagstone veneer around the flower bed

Firepit

New deck

It could have water by the weekend.
Could.
Like I told my pb the gas isn't preventing us from plaster and water. The heater shouldn't be turned on for a few weeks anyway.
Looking real good. I like your style. Hang in there it will all be done soon enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.