Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: covering rail for that inground look...

1. Back To Top    #1

covering rail for that inground look...

we are wanting to do a buried doughboy pool as it is a much cheaper option, especially for our sloped back yard. , 16 x 32 autumn breeze to be exact.

im going to have concrete poured at the height of the top rail, with an inch or two between the outer edge of the top rail and concrete. I thought about getting some nice top cap stones and going all the way the pool gluing them down to the concrete with either constuction adhesive (liquid nails type stuff) or maybe a silicone type adhesive to hold them in place, and having them overlapping the top rail, covering it, giving a nice inground look to pool.

my thoughts for future liner changes is (using the proper adhesive that will hold stones in place but not be overly difficult to remove) grabbing a pry bar and prying up the stones prior to calling in a new liner, then re-gluing them back once new liner is in place.

thoughts on this?

anyone done ANYTHING like this with either stones, decking or other?

please post pics if so!!!!!

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: covering rail for that inground look...

I am trying to visualize a buried pool on a sloped back yard. Does it slope away from your house and you want to have just the front of the pool facing your house buried? I like the vision you are having about the top cap stone, that would look nice.
    I have seen people cantilever decking over there top rail. I choose to go under for my design. Thinking of your liner later is a must, i had to replace 4 liners in 3 years and the pool was brand new.

I have a very sloped back yard also and i decided to build up with a retaining wall to meet my deck and it worked out fine. it might not work for you depending on your yard?
    If you do get to the end of making this happen please post some pics of your finished product.......Hope it goes well for you.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: covering rail for that inground look...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysnok View Post
    I am trying to visualize a buried pool on a sloped back yard. Does it slope away from your house and you want to have just the front of the pool facing your house buried? I like the vision you are having about the top cap stone, that would look nice.
    I have seen people cantilever decking over there top rail. I choose to go under for my design. Thinking of your liner later is a must, i had to replace 4 liners in 3 years and the pool was brand new.

I have a very sloped back yard also and i decided to build up with a retaining wall to meet my deck and it worked out fine. it might not work for you depending on your yard?
    If you do get to the end of making this happen please post some pics of your finished product.......Hope it goes well for you.
    yup, yard slopes away from my house, dropping about a ft every 10 feet or so. the side of the pool closest to my house would be ~18 inches or so above the ground, the other side ~35 inches. what I would like to do is at least achieve and inground look from the house side of it. From the other side, I figure some imaginative landscaping with rock and the proper shrubbery would look really good. Im even contemplating buying some of those tapered landscaping stones and going up the high side of the pool.

If I did that, then I could put the "stone top cap" all the way around.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!