Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drilling and Tapping Chlorine Injection Port - PVC Shavings

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern CA

Drilling and Tapping Chlorine Injection Port - PVC Shavings

Hi All,

I have now purchased everything I need for a Stenner pump based chlorine injection system. I am a little concerned about introducing pvc shavings into my plumbing. A dry run at drilling a piece of pvc yielded a surprising amounbt of shavings. Any way to reduced what gets introduced into my plumbing when I drill the actual pool return line? Hopefully, they'll end up in the pool to be collected by the pool sweep, but I'm not sure.

On a related note, the Econ T pump I purchased is for "indoor use only" but will be installed with the rest of the pool equipment. Has anyone had luck with a poly enclosure or some other box to shield it from the elements? Does the pump generate heat that would need to be vented? I asked about a "rain roof" but Stenner does not make them for this line of pumps.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Drilling and Tapping Chlorine Injection Port - PVC Shavings

You could always have someone else hover over you with a vacuum cleaner while you're drilling and tapping. That should minimize what goes inside.

Can't help with the rest, I'm a jug dumper.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Northern NJ

I will be installing a threaded T into my plumbing. Purchased at Lowes for a couple of $$$.

Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

The best way to keep the shavings out of the line is to put a good bit of pool lube on the bit and drill slowly, cleaning and relubing the bit often. Even if some do get in there, they'll flush out and since it's after all the equipment it'll just flush right out the returns.

They do need some ventilation, but a cover should protect it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit