Jandy Aqualink RS Power Center Problems

May 20, 2011
Sacramento, Ca
Well I have went and done it this time!

I have a Jandy Aqualink RS 8 controller with an Aqualink RS Power Center

My 2 year old Compupool CVA-24 valve was not opening when Solar was activated. It worked fine all last year. I watched the valve, no movement. I switched the toggle switch on the valve acutator to the off, then the up position, valve did not move. So I opened up the Power Center cabinet to check some stuff, thats when I got in trouble.

I was checking voltages on the JVA Sockets to see if the Solar JVA had voltage. I did not see any voltage on the Solar JVA socket (it had 3 wires, not sure I checked voltage correctly) so I pulled the connection on the Return JVA socket, turned on the Spa, and verified it had voltage.

Then I checked the Intake JVA socket and I slipped with the the leads on the volt meter and I am pretty sure I shorted the two socket prongs together. At that point the whole Power Center powered off. I did verify 120 and 240 volts coming into the power center. I toggled all the breaker on the units a couple of time to no avail.

So I am hoping I just blew a fuse somewhere. It was getting dark at this point so I closed up the Power Center for the night.

Questions:

1. Where would I look for a possible fuse?

2. What else might I have damaged?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlie.

there is a fuse on the back of the main pcb, make sure your power is off then remove the two top screws then you can "peel" back the pcb to gain access to the fuse. from memory it should be a 2ag 3amp fuse. normally if the actuator fails you can smell it, that stinky burnt wire smell. to check to see if the correct voltage just swap over the faulty actuator with another one that you know is working to see if it moves when told by the aqualink. the actuator has 3 wires, the black being common then the 2 wires, red and white, are you active depending on which direction is switched on.

there is a fuse on the back of the main pcb, make sure your power is off then remove the two top screws then you can "peel" back the pcb to gain access to the fuse. from memory it should be a 2ag 3amp fuse. normally if the actuator fails you can smell it, that stinky burnt wire smell. to check to see if the correct voltage just swap over the faulty actuator with another one that you know is working to see if it moves when told by the aqualink. the actuator has 3 wires, the black being common then the 2 wires, red and white, are you active depending on which direction is switched on.

Thank You.

I replaced the fuse and the unit seems to have normal power and everything is working except for the solar valve actuator I previously mentioned.

There is no burnt smell around the Solar valve actuator, I took the top off and everything looks brand new. It should look new, it is less than 2 years old.

to check to see if the correct voltage just swap over the faulty actuator with another one

So you are saying move the wiring from the JVA socket of one my good actuators (say from the intake) onto the JVA socket of the solar valve? Because I notice that my Intake and Return JVA socket wires have a jumper with a little fusible link of some sort between them.

One thing I noticed is that the wire from the solar JVA socket goes to a little add on controller the solar pool vendor put on to make my older Aqualink system compatible (their words) with the new variable speed pump they installed also at the same time. That has me a little worried lol!

Thanks Again.

I will take a look tonight, I may be a little gun shy after my last fuse blowing adventure!

Charlie.

My jandy controller started blinking inside the house..the main pump and water fall pimp were clicking off and on...it smelled like burning at the main control box so I put the unit in service mode...is my control bad or maybe a capacitor?

if you down load the Aqualink manual from the zodiac web site it explains how to connect the Intelliflow pump rather than going thru all the other add on bits the other supplier gave you. In my experience the intelliflow pump works great with Aqualink the way the manual explains it.
Yes just disconnect the Actuator plug from the pcb and plug it into one that is working just to confirm it is not the actuator itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.