Hayward Pro Logic PS-4 vs. Aqua Rite - new pool install

Hi all,

Installing a new salt water inground pool. Going with Hayward products per our installer. Trying to decide on the SWG system.

Any thoughts/advice on installing the PS-4 system vs. keeping it simple and just going with the Aqua Rite cell and handling timing manually, or with a different system?

I grew up with a pool and recently had a salt water pool at an older home before I moved. Had a Zodiac DuoClear which I hated. Overcomplicated POS. Nature cell, etc. Utterly over-engineered IMO.

So part of me wants to keep things simple and just use the cell.

The appeal of the PS-4 is that I'm building a large garage for the pool equipment and I can run a few circuits off the PS-4 for the garage, without needing a separate sub-panel. So it's a cleaner install and I like the automation aspects and wifi linkage, remote programming, etc.

I have also read that the Hayward Pro Logic units can have issues with the circuit board, in particular a certain K1 relay can overheat and cause failure. Some have replaced it by soldering in a new one but I'm really not looking for that kind of hassle.

So...do I go new school and get the fancy-schmancy PS-4 and have fun turning on my pool lights from my iPhone or do I go old school and just buy a cell and put an analog dial timer on it?

My previously mentioned pool was set up by the home owner, a hydro engineer. He had an automated solar heating system and the entire pool setup was on old analog timers and controllers. It worked flawlessly.

I am thinking the PS-4 is going to be trouble in 3-4 years and I'll be cursing it...

Thanks in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It is actually the AquaRite that typically has the current limiter problem. We see that much more often than we see issues with the ProLogic, but could just be due to the numbers in the field.

The P-4 is a slightly more basic automation setup that is a little cheaper. That is what I got. The reason I went that route was because I was adding SWG and solar at the same time and I wanted it to be able to switch my pump speed automatically for solar.

So, if you have a basic pool with no spa, solar, etc, you may not need to add the bells and whistles of even the basic automation.

Thanks Jason, appreciate the quick reply.

I'll have a NG heater, pool lights, etc. Will likely add lines for a water feature. Also thinking the panel could power my garage, exterior lights, etc. So that is another reason.

Main concern is the longevity and stability of the product. Hayward's site doesn't offer too much in terms of an explanation between the P-4 and the PS-4...

I think the main differences are: PS-4 adds control of a 4th valve actuator, ability to program button macros, and control of the Hayward Colorlogic Lights (pretty sure the P4 won't).

BTW, the AquaPlus is identical to the P4+SWG cell. The AquaPlus just includes the cell.

So far, I LOVE my ProLogic system. This is only my second system, but it's so seemless. And Hayward customer service has been excellent. I have a remote wired panel in the kitchen too. I can control my whole pool from the counter! Good stuff.

I, too, have been looking into the Prologic system for an upgrade I'm planning. I think you guys missed a few things regarding the differences between models available. This pdf from their site http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/LITAUTOB13.pdf explains several of the differences. It does appear the P4 does not do automation and thereby no remote controllers also. What JB pointed out above also seems to be true from what I have read (somewhere along the way). Personally I was looking at the PS-8 for the extra relays and control.

The wireless receiver and remotes can be added to the P4, although I see you are talking about "Remote via home automation" that apparently the P4 does not support, but I am not sure what that is exactly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.