Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool west Houston/Katy ideas around cost and pool builder

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool west Houston/Katy ideas around cost and pool builder

I am new to the forum and never owned a pool. I am looking to put in a pool/spa. I am thinking both pool and spa at surface level with no raised walls or water features. Does anyone have something similar to the below in the Katy or West Houston area, and are you willing to share or PM me with who you used, and about what that should cost? Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

85 Perimeter Pool and Spa
    Flagstone Coping
    Waterline Tile
    Interior Bench
    Tanning Shelf
    325 Sq. Ft. Acrylic Texture Decking Mastic
    White Plaster
    2HP Hayward TriStar Pump
    4030 Hayward Cartridge Filter
    250K Hayward Heater
    Intermatic Time Clock
    500 Watt Pool Light
    100 Watt Spa Light
    Ultra Pure Ozone 3
    Polaris 280 Automatic Pool Cleaner
    50 Lin Ft Electric Run
    20 Lin Ft. Plumbing Run (Skimmer to Equipment Pad)
    25 Lin Ft. Natural Gas Run
    Remove and Re-install Fence
    Gunite and Final Clean-ups
    Complete Start-Up and Maintenance Kit
    Top 2 Bottom Base System w/Eco-Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool west Houston/Katy ideas around cost and pool builder

Welcome to TFP!!!

No idea of costs, but here are my thoughts:
    1. Nix the Ozone. It serves no added benefit in a residential outdoor pool.
    2. Upgrade to a 2-speed pump, there is a Tristar version. Running on low for filtration will greatly reduce your electrical costs. Switch to high speed for the spa.
    3. The Polaris 280 requires a booster pump that is not listed. With that type of cleaner, you have to have 2 pumps running which use electricity. Might consider getting a robot instead.
    4. The bigger the heater, the faster it will heat up your spa. Consider a 400k heater ... preferably Raypak and not Hayward, but you may not have that option.
    5. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits and read through Pool School well before your pool is completed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We're near completion of our pool in Katy. I'll pm you our details.
    Construction starts 3/24/14!
    24 x 38 Freeform gunite pool w/50 sq ft oval flush spa
    3 1/2- 6 ft, 102' Perimeter, 20,000 gallons, X-Treme Pebble/Mini pebble w/glass
    Hayward 1.5 hp Tristar 2sp pump, Hayward 525 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 400k Heater, .75 HP waterfall pump, Aqua Logic PS8 w/ Wireless Aqua-Pod, Polaris 280.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    4. The bigger the heater, the faster it will heat up your spa. Consider a 400k heater ... preferably Raypak and not Hayward, but you may not have that option.
    Small disagreement from me on switching away from a Hayward; Hayward offer an extended warranty when you purchase 3 or more of their products. As such, changing heater brand would lose you a couple of years warranty which I think is worth hanging on to.

We built in the Cypress area (so just a little North of you) last year but had quite a lot of features and so my cost probably isn't that helpful to you. However, if you have a quote already, post it and there's quite a few people that live in the Greater Houston area that can comment on prices of individual elements. Do you only have 325 sqft of decking? That's not much and I'd recommend considering more.

Based on the info you've provided I'd expect you to be in the mid $40k's here in Houston.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

I suppose the warranty is a valid argument. But, based on the feedback I have seen the Raypak are MUCH less likely to have a problem and are easier/cheaper to fix.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Agree your looking at mid 40's to 50k when all is said and done.

sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

Agreed to 40-50k for that build.
    12k gal IG gunite, hayward cartridge filter, hayward ecostar VS pump, prologic controller, swg, polaris 280, built July 2012

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all. when do i get over sticker shock

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by flywright View Post
    When you're in the pool and able to appreciate it!

I completely understand - I was astounded at how much pools are. All made worth it though seeing the smile on my son's face and being asked if he can go swimming!
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

10. Back To Top    #10

Just think of it as an investment for you and your family. We are currently building and I think I have gone through a roller coaster of emotions. from everyones posts this seems normal.

I believe when you buy a pool you are buying a lifestyle. I can't wait to be a"pool guy"

Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm thinking $40K should be about right. 50 would seem high IMO, but it is the peak season..

12. Back To Top    #12

We were sent over the edge also on our bids. We really wanted a gunite but just could not budget it for what we really wanted. It could have been a smaller build and came in on budget but no matter what size everyone builds, I hear down the road they wished they went larger. We decided for a liner and the cost was cut in half. The builders here in Mississippi are on the high side to begin with. I see lots of pools in Texas that the bids would be welcome here, seems cheaper. I guess much more competition out there.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress