CC 0.5 - should I SLAM?

astronaut888

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2013
southeast
Pretty sure that the answer is to SLAM - however, having not had to do so myself I am not 100% sure

I have been using TFPC for a bit now with great results

The following are the Taylor 100 results of a friends pool

She indicated that she had algae and was "getting rid" of it - and that she uses pucks, powder shock etc....
I am trying to convert her to TFPC and offered to check her water with my kit - primarily to see if her CYA was too astronomical to start with b/c of her use of CYA containing chlorine products.

From what I see, she is pretty good with all of her chemistry - all except CC - which, thankfully, I have yet to experience with my own pool.

She indicated she "had algae" and that the pool is now simply "cloudy" but "getting better" w/ "algaecide and shock"

From her readings, I feel that SLAM is in order but wanted to run it by the forum first - so, please forgive my rather uninformed question.

CYA 50
FC 2
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 80

vinyl pool with 2yr old liner replacement
16,000 gallons

forgot to say - her sample was obtained last night but tested by me first thing this morning for what it's worth

Last edited:
Her FC is way low for a CYA level of 50.

If the pool is cloudy then that is one of the three criteria calling for a SLAM so yes it is time.

Pretty sure that the answer is to SLAM - however, having not had to do so myself I am not 100% sure

I have been using TFPC for a bit now with great results

The following are the Taylor 100 results of a friends pool

She indicated that she had algae and was "getting rid" of it - and that she uses pucks, powder shock etc....
I am trying to convert her to TFPC and offered to check her water with my kit - primarily to see if her CYA was too astronomical to start with b/c of her use of CYA containing chlorine products.

From what I see, she is pretty good with all of her chemistry - all except CC - which, thankfully, I have yet to experience with my own pool.

She indicated she "had algae" and that the pool is now simply "cloudy" but "getting better" w/ "algaecide and shock"

From her readings, I feel that SLAM is in order but wanted to run it by the forum first - so, please forgive my rather uninformed question.

CYA 50
FC 2
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 80

vinyl pool with 2yr old liner replacement
16,000 gallons

Yeah - I knew the FC was low and was going to address that with her - but - wanted to check with reference to SLAMing the pool before suggesting it

Having never done TFPC, I imagine SLAMing may be a bit much to suggest she start with for her to wrap her head around - but, I'm certainly going to try and assist as much as i can!

thanks for the replies!

I'd take the FC up to 8 to 10 for a day and circulate it constantly to get a better idea if there are no visible signs of algae growth.. CC of .5 really wouldn't bother me.

I'd take the FC up to 8 to 10 for a day and circulate it constantly to get a better idea if there are no visible signs of algae growth.. CC of .5 really wouldn't bother me.

With my enormously limited (!) novice knowledge, I was kinda thinking that with reference to the CC number - however, was unsure if the fact that the sample was done last night and only read this morning would affect the true reading a bit?

A .5 CC level is the same as zero. It really means nothing. Cloudy water however is a warning sign, but could mean she's got a sand filter taking its time.

As a starting point, a photo for us to see and an OCLT will tell you if there's anything growing in the water.

If she is going to fight you on this, let her be once you're done. Any indications that she's going back to the pool store and using sticks/pucks and letting the pool go... Just stop and move on. When she starts commenting on your water, just tell her, I tried to help you and leave it at that. Sometimes our best intentions go unnoticed. Some people just can't grasp the concept. Kudos for you though for trying to help. :goodjob: BTDT and only converted my dad and brother.

She hit the pool with 193oz 8.25 bleach last night when she went home - ostensibly raising the FC to 10 provided it was still 2 after the full day - which, it likely was not
Now running sand filter 24hrs
Says that water is now clear and I tested FC again for her this morning and am reading 4.5
CC is reading zero

That type of an overnight loss would seem to me to indicate something going on - but, I don't really know what the FC was right before adding bleach, nor do I know what it raised to after adding - only what I am reading this morning.

I'm thinking of telling her that she should consider simply moving forward with TFPC at this point , testing daily and adding accordingly.

You need a beginning point and an end point to determine OCLT.

It will be up to her to join and take control of her pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need a beginning point and an end point to determine OCLT.

It will be up to her to join and take control of her pool.

absolutely (!)
she's ready to take control - I'm just trying to jumpstart her in the right direction and hopefully help prevent a horrible algae situation before her Taylor TF 100 gets here:D

Without detecting CC , would a present algae situation be unlikely - or is CC of zero and a clear pool not necessarily an "all clear" without a proper OCLT?

If you want to be 100% an OCLT is to be performed. :goodjob:

This was my first reaction too. Raise the level of FC and see what happens first. CC of 0.5 is very low. I've had it a couple of times and just raising my FC a bit (I'm supplementing a SWG that isn't running all the time due to low temps), easily dropped the CC back to 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.