Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken laterals... did I not close correctly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken laterals... did I not close correctly?

Since my pool opened up with a sandfilter that is shooting sand into the pool from one or more broken laterals (intex sending me 6 new ones under warranty) I am wondering if that was caused from it freezing over the winter and if there is anything I could have done differently to prevent it? I unhooked all the pipes from the pool, capped the inlet and outlets, blew out the water from the pipes with an air compressor, drained the pump, closed the valve on the sandfilter. made sure there was no water in the cross pipe to the sandfilter.

thoughts?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Broken laterals... did I not close correctly?

Did you drain the filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, but im wondering if I drained it enough.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

4. Back To Top    #4

The laterals are down near the bottom of the filter tank. If there was water down there over the winter, that would be enough to crack the laterals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It has been a long time since I had an Intex sand filter, but mine had to be stored inside during the winter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

well, im wanting to chalk this one up as a learning experience before I pop $$$ on a real ABG pool with a far more expensive Hayward 250 lb sandfilter.

obviously I cant take a 250 lb filter indoors every winter. other than trying my best to drain all the water out of it, is there anything else I can do?

thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

I know nothing about Intex equipment, but I leave my Hayward filters out all winter, and just keep the drain plugs off.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

I believe there is a drain cap that should be removed to drain the filter on the Intex sand filters. There certainly is on the larger filters. If you removed that cap it should have drained enough to prevent freeze damage. There is no reliable way to drain it completely enough other than removing the drain cap.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School