Okay folks please recommend best pump and cartridge combo for 24' round AGP

Mar 27, 2014
NW suburbs IL
Didn't go w radiant pool after all since I am not sinking all the way in ground. Village denied 27' so now am I getting a 24'. Didn't realize such hassles w village codes. The pool store still wants to sell me a 2 hp 2 stage hayward pump. All I've read here says the pump is one of the most important components for clear water. Please advise as I need to finalize order so maybe we can get village approval and fill the pool by June sometime.

I would go with a 1hp 2 speed pump. That will be plenty of pump for your pool. The Hayward Power-Flo Matrix is a very good pump with a lot of people on the forum using it.
You will have to get the pump by itself. I've never seen it available in a combo unit with the filter. The pump will still work on the base the combo units come with.
The pump and filter are not the key components for clear water. Proper water chemistry is the key to clear water ! Keeping you FC in range for your CYA level will go a long way in having clear water. ?

Your pool will have about the same amount of water as mine does. My pump is in it's death throw stage and I've ordered the exact same one pwrstrk recommended to you. It will be replacing a 1.5 HP single speed.
Amazon had a good deal on it. Model# is SP15922S.

The pump and filter are not the key components for clear water. Proper water chemistry is the key to clear water ! Keeping you FC in range for your CYA level will go a long way in having clear water.
Amen, Brother!.

Moonlite, file that one away in your "must have" list. pwrstrk speaks the gospel. :mrgreen:

So looks like there is 1 vote for the Hayward SP15922S... 1hp 2 speed pump.

How about filter? I am just about to pull the trigger on a similarly sized pool... and am leaning towards a cartridge filter. Any recommendations? Anyone feel strongly about a sand filter instead? If so, why?

Any particular brand/model? I was in a local store and they had... I think it was a Sta-rite... right next to a Hayward. The guy showed me the filter cartridge. The filter material in the sta-rite seems much more substantial than the Hayward. He claimed that it filtered better and would last longer.

I also see that you have a DE filter. I was leaning towards the cartridge filter. I also see that there are a lot of people selling their DE filter locally on CL. Sounds like you've had a couple of pools... which filter would you recommend?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.