EZ Touch Pentair not communicating with VS Motor

I had been operating the pump manually as my EZ Touch schedules and operations were not responding with the motor. I checked the motor status on the EZ Touch 4 and it said no communication. Went back to check cable on the motor and as soon as I touched it the motor LED went into Display Not active mode and EZ said motor normal. Still not operating off schedule and nowI cant operate the motor manually anymore. Suggestions from you kind folks?

Re: Pentair Control Panel tripping 30 amp breaker

Posts merged. Please never ask the same question in more than one place. Thanks JasonLion

Try turning everything off, both pump and control panel, and then back on again and see if that does anything. Also, make sure you are not in service mode on the pump.

There is a somewhat rare problem when a nearby lightning strike burns out the communications chip on the pump. If that is the issue there is nothing you can do except to replace the "drive" unit (electronics box with the controls) on the pump, which is fairly expensive.

I powered everything down several times. I noticed that the communication cable had been a little loose at the motor. When I tightened the connection the Display said Not Active and I could no longer control the motor manually. Checked the Control Panel and appropriate relays were sucked in as per normal schedule. Removed panel and checked voltage to motor and all was normal however motor was not running. I was only able to get to motor back on by disconnecting the communication cable and powering down to clear the 'display not active' message. This takes about 30 seconds after the power has been cut as the motor holds a residual.

I had the technicians number that did my start-up years ago and he walked me thru it. All the speed info (menu-settings-pump #1-Speeds) had been wiped in the EZ Touch so I had to reprogram the varying speed RPM's for each designation. Pool, Pool Low, Pool High, and SPA. I don't have a SPA but use the' V' valve button for an egg-timer HIGH when we are are having parties and I just want everything in High for an hour so I won't forget to turn it back off. This resolved the problem instantly. Motor was communicating but it had no parameters. As suggested this was most likely caused by lightning. Thanks guys, I hope this may help someone some day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.