Place to buy test kits in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2008
Sudbury, ON
I've been looking around trying to find a place to purchase the Taylor K2006 kit in Canada. None of the local pool stores carry a good kit like this one and they usually say something like "why would you want a kit like that".
I finally found a couple of online places in Canada that sell them and thought I would post the links...if that's ok? One thing I've noticed is they cost a lot more in Canada than they do in the States :(

The Life Saving Society of Ontario is a charitable organization so your purchase helps them out (I have no affiliation). Look in the store section.
http://www.lifesavingsociety.com

Apollo Pools is another site I found
http://piscines-apollo.com

Oh ya...Happy July 4th to all the folks south of the 49th! :party:

I was frustrated myself with the high costs of the Canadian test kits. I'm fairly used to it though, it seems almost anything specialized like that and even non-specialized, is more expensive in Canada.

You could try and do what I did. I ordered the TF-100, had it delivered to a US Address (in my case, a store across the border that does this for people), then drove it over.

$60 for the TF100, which contains more reagents then the Tayler K2006, which on those sites costs a minimum of $150.

Maybe Paul could explain why he sells the K2006 more than double the price it is in the US... But I have to admit that at 169$, including the magnetic stirrer which sells at 69$ alone, the kit is worth 100$, so not too bad.

However, is it possible to order reagents from the US at a better price?

Taylor has an exclusive deal with their Canadian importer, that prevents any other supplier of Taylor chemistry from shipping to Canada. The Canadian importer sets the wholesale prices in Canada quite high. It is unclear why they do that, since they are losing sales because of the high prices.

Once in a while you will find a US company that is willing to defy Taylor and ship to Canada. But Taylor keeps an eye out for that and stops anyone doing it fairly quickly once they notice it happening. The only legal work around is to purchase a kit/refills at a US address and carry it into Canada yourself.

crewchief47 said:
I did what Rob did, but I'm only 20mins from a crossing. Sudbury isn't really close to any crossing. know anyone living in the US or close to a border???

Yeah I'm about 3.5 hours away from the nearest crossing, so at about 2 tanks of gas @ $100 per, it'll cost me more :shock:

I do have a brother that lives in Fort Erie so that idea might work :roll:

Is this skirting any sort of US or Canadian law? We can't condone or allow any communication or organization of illegal activities - no matter how minor.

However, if you update your profile to include your specific geographic locations, there's nothing I can do to keep you from privately contacting one another OUTSIDE of the forum.

Thanks,
Sean

Newton said:
Maybe Paul could explain why he sells the K2006 more than double the price it is in the US... But I have to admit that at 169$, including the magnetic stirrer which sells at 69$ alone, the kit is worth 100$, so not too bad.

However, is it possible to order reagents from the US at a better price?

Like Jason said, Taylor has an exclusive master distributor for Canada, and they set the prices. Yes, I'm well aware of the US market and the differences in price.

If I could sell the kits for less I certainly would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SeanB said:
Is this skirting any sort of US or Canadian law? We can't condone or allow any communication or organization of illegal activities - no matter how minor.

However, if you update your profile to include your specific geographic locations, there's nothing I can do to keep you from privately contacting one another OUTSIDE of the forum.

Thanks,
Sean

I can't see how, especially if I have a vacation home in the US(I don't but taylor doesn't know that). I claimed the kit when I crossed and as an added bonus, they let me through without paying taxes. It's the same as visiting a leslies in the US, buying a k-2006 and bringing it back.

crewchief47 said:
SeanB said:

Thanks,
Sean

I can't see how, especially if I have a vacation home in the US(I don't but taylor doesn't know that). I claimed the kit when I crossed and as an added bonus, they let me through without paying taxes. It's the same as visiting a leslies in the US, buying a k-2006 and bringing it back.

Taylor does watch this site - confirmed. If either Paul or Dave were suspected of trying to circumvent their agreements with Taylor, it would cost them their business - Taylor would cut them off completely. Granted, they don't have any direct knowledge of what you are doing, but Taylor might not see it that way. I don't think it's fair to them to allow this discussion to continue.

As far as TFP is concerned, if you reside in Canada, you should buy your kit via the Canadian Taylor Master Distributor or authorized agent thereof.

Thanks,
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.