Ball valve failure...any advice?

brian4110

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
After firing up the equipment for the first time this season, I noticed that I could no longer restrict the flow of water to my water slide. There is a ball valve on the pipe that leads to the slide which I assume has now failed. Turning the valve has little effect on the flow to the slide.

I didn't want to attempt any repair until I posted here for advice. I presume I will have to replace the valve. It looks like it is a 1/2" single union ball valve, glued on 1 side. I haven't done this type of repair but it seems simple enough.

1. Turn off pump and de-pressurize system
  2. Unscrew threaded end of ball valve to disconnect that end
  3. Cut pipe below glued end to fully remove ball valve
  4. Replace with new ball valve

I plan on using a double union ball valve so as to avoid having to cut pipe next time I need to repair a failed valve.

So my questions are, am I missing anything obvious? PVC repair seems simple enough, but I'm always on the lookout for hidden dragons. Also, is there anything better I can use for this application than a simple PVC ball valve?

First picture shows equipment pad...water slide pipe boxed in red.
water slide pipe.jpg

Second picture shows ball valve that needs to be replaced.
ball valve.jpg

Using a pool valve like all your other valves would be better, but also seems like overkill given the pipe size. You could put a 3-way valve instead of the Tee, but I am not sure there is enough pipe for it to fit if you cut out the Tee.

Using a double union valve is probably the easiest solution, you may have to cut the top out too if the unions are not the same.

Just be sure to use primer and solvent.

If you have to cut out the top, I would use a coupler and extend the pipe some and put the valve lower with pipe on both sides for future repairs.

Thanks, jbizzle. I'd love to do something sturdier like a typical pool valve, but it looks like there'd be a bit more plumbing involved.

If I have to cut the top I'll definitely put a coupler in there. In fact, I might do that anyway to get the new valve closer to the middle. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.