A needy AGP newbie..

Apr 29, 2014
Boise, Idaho
Hello,

Last summer I brought home a 9 x 18 Intex Ultra pool with it's basic canister filter and the Intex salt water system. The kids and I were ecstatic. My husband was less than ecstatic, but after a season of fun...he is coming around. I loved watching and listening to my kids and all of their friends splashing it up. I loved cleaning out the filter every day...less. So. I'm ready to enjoy this pool myself this year which means I need to break free from filter servitude. I have been floating around all these posts, looking at all these great systems. I've made all kinds of calls to the local pool stores, researching what I need to make this summer effortless and I am overwhelmed. It's up to me to figure out the deep mysteries of converting this big grey bathtub into a swimming pool. I don't speak "pool", I have no experience with pipes, fittings, skimmers, valves, and frankly...I'm afraid of screwing up. I need someone to hold my hand and walk me through this step by remedial step.

*I am planning on ordering this filter and pump unless you all tell me not to! It is essentially a 3/4 hp pump. My pool holds a little less than 5,000 gallons of water. The pool companies I have spoke with tell me I need a 1 to 1.5 hp pump but I think they just want to sell me those because they have them in stock. Is it the right size?

*From reading, it looks I will have to make modifications in order to install it. Holy cow. There is so much I do not know. Step by remedial step please. :)

*Do I use pvc? My kids don't float sedately in the pool..they jump and kick off the sides. They jump from the trampoline into the pool. So, should I stick with flex hoses? Will my intex hoses stand up to the bigger pump action? Can you even use their hoses with a hayward pump?

*Can I still use my Salt Water System?

*Can I still use my vacuum set up that came with the pool? Should I get one of those Hayward creepy critter auto cleaners?

*Do I need an in wall skimmer? Pool store guy says I won't need a skimmer at all. But, like the rest of the world I have trees...with leaves? The floating skimmer constantly breaks free from the side due to my "not sedate" children.

*How about an extra return? The pool is pretty small..is it necessary?

*How about the fancy pvc spray returns? Is that just for fun? I saw Charlie R's set up. I wish you were my friendly neighbor.

I have more questions but I don't want to alienate you all right away. I assure you, that although I sound completely inept...I can do this. With your help.

Thank you!

Hi there, I have the exact same pool, I just need to check a few things... What sort of connectors for your suction and return holes? That will tell us a lot, this will be a factor when you upgrade the filter system.... :) Post some pics as well, that will speak volumes... :)

I've been hijacked!!

Really, Welcome to the fun! I think you will find your pool will be a lot less work soon.

First thing you will need -- if you don't already have one -- is a TF-100 test kit. (http://TFtestkits.net)

You mention ordering a filter and pump. I am assuming a Hayward set-up as you mention that brand later. If it is the Intex 2650gph sand filter, that is also essentially a 3/4 hp unit. Either way, we can deal with it.

Just so you can get an idea of what we will be discussing, check out my photobucket album for what I've done to my pool so far.

You will notice a couple things right away. The through-the-wall skimmer, and two returns. You don't have to stay with the Intex returns, but you will probably need to make a couple of these adapters for the changeover between normal PVC and Intex goods.

Since you have rowdy kids (and who doesn't!) it would be a good idea to use flex PVC for any "drops" on your plumbing. Drops meaning the portion of pipe directly connected to your pool skimmer(s) or returns. From there, regular PVC will work for the rest of the plumbing.

For your size of pool, one skimmer properly located should work. For returns, three would be a good idea.

Not knowing how your pool is situated in reference to prevailing winds etc., there's not much more I can tell you right now.

Can I ask you a favor? Could you narrow down your location a bit, nearest big city is close enough. Also, please add your pool and equipment to your signature line, as outlined here.

We'll get you to loving your pool, promise!

Ohhhh..... the possibilities are endless! Good luck and have fun with your pool!

Welcome to TFP tatertot!!!

Yahoo! And we're off!

I completed my signature, which is very short on details because I am very short on materials and specs.

Lacey Girl, I checked out out your photos and we do have the same pool. As far as the connectors for suction and return...it's standard. Exactly what came with the pool, no modifications. I cannot take photos right now...there is a huge pile of decking in the way. (building a deck along one side of the pool...see? I'm committed! :))

Charlie, I could have guessed you were the intex expert as I already perused your photobucket pictures. Wow. I'm excited, but I am willing to take baby steps.

I tried to put up a link to the pump I hope to purchase but it looks like I don't know how to do that either. It is the Hayward S144T1540S Pro Series Top-Mount Sand Filter 14-Inch 4-way Valve and 40 GPM Pump and I hope to purchase from Amazon. I like to buy local when I can but I called 4 or 5 different pool supply stores in the area and got 4 to 5 different opinions about what I needed. The filter/pump systems they recommended ranged in size from .5 to 1.5 and in price from 600 to 1,600 dollars. This Hayward is under 300 and from reading it looks like folks with larger pools are very happy with it. Moving from the stock canister filter from Intex..I think there is no where to go but up.

Test Kit...will get.

Prevailing winds? Ummmm...I don't know. Our property is terraced, the pool sits in the lowest area of our yard against a fence on the north side, and protected by a very large juniper tree on the East side. It's a very sunny spot with not much that will drop into it.

3 returns! Really? So I have to cut a hole for the skimmer and another return? I can't tell you how much I don't want to do this. If I mess up, the pool days are over and I will be blacklisted by my children. But I will try if I must.

Any chance one of you has created a shopping list for all of the parts I need from Home Depot?

Thanks again everyone!

I will start you on a shopping list later today. some of it will need to come from Amazon.com, and the rest from your local plumbing supply/hardware store.

Regarding the cutting holes in your pool -- It's not a problem, we'll walk you through that step by step.

You will be surprised what will show up in your skimmer basket that didn't in the Intex floater.

Shopping list ....

I'll give you a few choices, you will need to decide which you want.

Skimmer 1

Skimmer 2

Both of these come with a return fitting. You will probably want a couple more. Better flow rate into your pool, so better circulation of the water in your pool. To go with the extra returns, you will need these. Look around, there are other size holes available, but the 3/4" will work to help balance the flow from all of them.

Your pool has the large Intex fittings, right? Where the plunger valve or hose will screw directly onto them. you can abandon those, by leaving the plunger valve on them and making sure your kids can't open the valve. You might want to use them for other things later, so make sure whatever you do to keep them closed is reversible.

The next items can be bought locally from a plumbing supply store, hardware store, or online. Your choice. I'm linking to items to show you what you are looking for.

You will need one of these for each return.

This will screw into the bottom of your skimmer.

You will need to get teflon tape, several rolls of it for these and other fittings.

You will need several unions, one at the pump intake, one at the filter output, and a few more for any other place you will want to remove sections of pipe for winter. I would strongly suggest pool rated valves at each of the returns, and at the skimmer, in addition to a pair at the pump and filter.

Several slip elbows, and tees for joining returns to the main pipe from your filter. I can't give you a number on these, since I'm not there to see how you are doing it.

The amount of flex PVC is also something you will have to figure out, as well as the rigid PVC for the main runs.

That's about all I can think of right now, but it should get you started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A .5 hp would be just fine or a 2 speed kept on low. I get by just fine with one 3/4" return jet on my much larger pool. My pump is 1hp uprated or 3/4 hp full rated with a 21" filter that keeps my 17,100 gal pool looking great except the end of last season when I ran out of chlorine because of a large hole that took forever to track down and the chlorine usage got too expensive.

I know the feeling about trying to buy locally, but long story short, I could care less if a dozen Leslie's in OKC close down because I shopped online. The money I save will be spent locally and not go to people working in a specialty store with no practical training other than how to sell someone something they don't want or need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.