First Time pool owner - wedding cake steps questions

Aug 20, 2013
We had our above ground oval 18x33 pool installed late in the season last summer, this summer will be our first full season. at the time we used the ladder since our deck wasn't built yet. Our deck was built and we will be using the wedding cake stairs I have read multiple threads on how to hold them down, so I think I am going to buy the plastic weights with sand in them put them in those vacume sealed bags to hold them down, now the stairs there are big holes on the side of them for circulating water, do you think I should make some on the top of the steps as well?
Also it came with a matt to put down under the steps, should I avoid this, after all the reading it seems like it would be a huge algae attraction, or is it needed to protect the liner?

Any thoughts?

Laurie

Very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this as well. We, too are looking to purchase steps for our pool, to allow easier entry for my 93 yr old Grandmother. We cant have anything that is too steep and thought the Majestic (8000) model by Innovoplas would serve our purpose. I haven't been able to source a pad for under the steps, but would welcome any insight as to whether it is even required. the biggest challenge we face is trying to find a supplier that can ship to our address in Canada, or without paying more for shipping costs than the cost of the steps themselves :( Our pool is a 12x22x52" Intex style pool (Bestway brand). Sorry to piggyback on your thread fitness4life75. I hope you don't mind

I wouldn't put any holes on the step itself. Maybe you could put some on the riser part of the step and on the sides. Some people don't have any algae problems with that type of steps and I've read some that do.
As for the pad I would use it. I have just a ladder with a pad to protect the liner and I've never had a problem with algae from the pad.

I have the Majestic (8000) and haven't had any trouble with the steps lifting up. One of the steps has a cut out with plastic container that we filled with gravel. That and attaching the railing to the deck has kept ours from moving around. I've never had any algae problems. I haven't used a mat under them either. I've been very pleased with mine.
medium.jpg

I had the wedding cake steps in my old pool and on 2 occasions, they wore the print off my liners but you'd also have to factor in at least 4 kids-6 kids any given day and a dog that loved to swim. Our pool was the local watering hole and believe me, the other kids had pools at their house too but they liked ours because you could see the bottom! :mrgreen: I actually ended up tying the steps off to a deck post under the deck and that kept it from moving. Before that, it would slide back and forth.

I have the Majestic (8000) and haven't had any trouble with the steps lifting up. One of the steps has a cut out with plastic container that we filled with gravel. That and attaching the railing to the deck has kept ours from moving around. I've never had any algae problems. I haven't used a mat under them either. I've been very pleased with mine.
medium.jpg

Thank you so much for the post, and especially for the pic. Most pics I have seen always make the steps look so much larger due to the distortion (from being submerged in) the water. We had looked at another specific model at a pool supplier near here, and seeing them in person was a far cry different that the pics we had seen online of the same model.

As for the pad, I was more concerned with wear and the potential for subsequent tears/ leaks. I may do a little more research on the pad idea before we install the steps. I would rather spend hours cleaning (algae) than another thousand dollars or so to replace my pool. The few reviews comparing our brand of pool to Intex brand seem to indicate that the liner is not of the same weight or quality, so want to take whatever steps necessary to protect our investment.

Thank you so much for everyone's replies!! I will use the pad under my steps.
Do you think 50lbs weights will be enough to hold down the steps? My pool company first stairs they gave me were HUGE, so I switched them out to a nicer smaller set with a single bar instead of two bars.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much for the post, and especially for the pic. Most pics I have seen always make the steps look so much larger due to the distortion (from being submerged in) the water. We had looked at another specific model at a pool supplier near here, and seeing them in person was a far cry different that the pics we had seen online of the same model.

As for the pad, I was more concerned with wear and the potential for subsequent tears/ leaks. I may do a little more research on the pad idea before we install the steps. I would rather spend hours cleaning (algae) than another thousand dollars or so to replace my pool. The few reviews comparing our brand of pool to Intex brand seem to indicate that the liner is not of the same weight or quality, so want to take whatever steps necessary to protect our investment.

You just answered your own question about the pad. I also have wedding cake steps and use a pad under them. Once i had everything in place and the steps where i wanted them and secured to the deck i trimmed my pad to the radius of my bottom step so there was not much flapping around down there. I also drilled more hole in the sides but i wish i had drilled more, i do get some alge build up under them and i have to push my hose in the holes to blow them out about twice a summer. My steps are Lumi-o and i think they are made in Canada.

Thanks for the pic johnnysnok. Exactly the steps we are looking to purchase. Now if I can justify the shipping costs, as we cant seem to find anyone willing to ship to us within Canada for less than 300.00 (and up). None of the local pool supply companies within (3 hr) driving distance seem to carry this model as regular stock, so even if we order from a "local" company, we would still incur the freight charges to get it to their distribution center. We do have the option of ordering online (from Wal-Mart in US for example) and driving the 2 hrs across the border to pick them up, but I am just so darn lazy and would much prefer have them shipped to our home. Right now, tho the steps re the least of our worries. I am the point of giving up and going back the old blow up ring style pool if we cant solve our heater dilemnas :rolleyes:

Hi Linda!

I just put in an oval 18x33 above ground pool and had a deck put around it. I liked the Majestic 8000 steps (as you have), but I'm a bit stumped on how to attached the railing to the deck 'attractively'. :D

Would you mind posting another picture of your stairs where the railing support is attached to the deck? In my case, the deck is below the metal rim of the pool, so there's a gap there of ~4" that I'd have to make up for. I wish they had a more arched support available...you know, one that would work perfectly for my exact situation!

Thanks for any advice you might have...

Steve

Steve, it's dark out now, and this is the only picture I have that shows how it was attached. It isn't pretty. My husband just cut a piece of 2x4 and screwed that to the deck and then screwed the arm of the railing to the 2x4.
large.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.