Rheem vs. Raypak

NikAmi

Apr 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hey guys. First, I just want to say that its really great that all of you with so much experience help those of us without much experience on your on time. It's really appreciated. Second, our pool heater died an undignified death last year (2 heaters in under 10 years). This is after we have had so many problems with heater malfunctions and a multitude of repairs. We're looking to replace the heater and our installer recommended Rheem. What I am looking for is the most rock solid and energy efficient heater I can buy. I don't need anything fancy, but it does need to work with my Aqualink. From my reading, Rheem and Raypak are essentially the same company and the same heaters. I asked my installer why I should go with Rheem over Raypak (or even another brand for that matter) and he said that the enclosure had a much better design and build on the Rheem model. According to the pictures on the Internet, both units look identical. Also, unfortunately, our pool guy seems to hire some really incompetent guys to do a lot of the menial tasks and as a result, our pool chemistry has been all over the place at times resulting in green pools that need to be shocked. Given this, I thought it might be prudent to invest a little more in the heater and get the copper nickel version. So, my questions are:

1) Is there a difference in the Rheem vs. Raypack heaters and is that difference worth choosing the Rheem over the Raypack?
2) Are there other benefits to the Rheem vs. Raypack or vice versa? Should I be looking at an entirely different manufacturer?
3) Does the extra investment in the copper nickel version make sense?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to help me out with this.

They are the same exact unit, just a different name badge. Raypak is the parent company.

They are the best heater on the market today.

Personally, I don't see any reason to spend the extra on the cupro nickle. If you keep you pool balanced correctly, you will not have any issues.

Thanks for the reply ps0303. Anybody else have any thoughts? My installer quoted me $175 to upgrade to cupro so I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and spend the extra to get it. If it helps me get an extra year or two out of the heater then it's worth it. All together, he's quoted me approximately $3k to buy and install the heater. Is that a fair price? It would be a Rheem 399k BTU heater with cupro nickel.

That seems fair to me. I thought I have seen that the heaters were about $2k online, so with normal mark-up and installation that seem reasonable.

I think I agree as well, the cost different going with the cupro-nickel over the copper is pretty small.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.