Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool resurface question - really need your inputs

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Pool resurface question - really need your inputs

Hi all,

I really need some inputs on my pool project here. I drained the pool earlier in January with the hope to get the pool project done by February. But I never get the chance to finish it up due to my work schedule. I will have to leave the pool due to travel arrangements and return in June to have pool guys to resurface the pool. I want to know what might be my best remedy now to avoid any potential damages to my pool structure/surface between now and June. Should I fill the water till the water-line tile or till the steps? My tiles have been chipped away and part of the copings are taken off.

I know I should not have left my pool empty for so long but life is just getting busy recently.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool resurface question - really need your inputs

The answer varies depending on a couple of factors. If you live in a hot desert region, you should fill the pool. If your local water table could come up above the bottom of the pool you should fill at least to the height the water table might reach. You might not need to fill if you have holes drilled in the bottom or a valve in the main drain that lets in ground water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

From you picture, it sure does not look like the pool was in that bad of shape. Is the plaster just much rougher than it appears to be in your picture?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks both for your reply. The plaster is rough and I can feel it start to rub my feet and hands while In pool. Had several contractors come over and all suggested to replaster - I thought about painting but gave it up since the reviews for painting are sort of mixed and people from the forum also suggested against painting. Anyway I took out all the tiles and loosing copings and ended up breaking some of them. Now the project is to reseat loosing copings, grinder off mortar and install new tiles, and replaster.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Just curious if you know the age of your plaster? As jbliz mentioned, it looks quite good despite the feel. Hoping (working towards) a long plaster life myself.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

It look WAY better than mine was when we bought it ... chunk missing etc. Worked fine for us a few years.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

No, I don't really know the age of the plaster but the house and the pool was built around 20 yrs ago and I assume that is also the life of the current plaster. Have several pieces missing and several areas popped up (one is next to main drain with around 5 ft * 3ft needs to knocked away since it is hollow).

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yeah, it looks good from the distance of the pics, but I can see lot's of chips and dings throughout. Sounds like you will have a beautiful pool when you are done.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School