Light Green Mediteranean Pool

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Hello All;

Well I havent posted in a while, to darn busy with work, but have checked in from time to time. Here is my situation.

Pool has been crystal clear for over a month, Hardness was low and so was PH, so added accordingly. I have been holding my C around 5. I run a SWG and all has been fine. Cya was around 40.
Water temp been hovering around 75 ( Cold Weather Lately). This last week, the weather broke, and my solar got pool up to around 88. I noticed water was slowly starting to cloud up, not alot, but I could notice it. Turned SWG up to 70% and assumed it would go clear. Well, then it turned like a Cruise Ship View from the deck.

I took the CYA up, and am shocking at present, C up around 20 now, and holding throughout the day. No apparent CC when doing the tests, but as you know, you have to drop like 40 drops in to get it to change back to clear. Then 5 drops of whatever it is, then water turns a very very slight pink...one drop brings it back, so I assume CC is .5.

My Pool store tested for Phosphates and found it to be 1,000 PPM, I will be adding Phosphate out once I get the water clear.

Am I doing the right thing, adding Bleach, and brushing. Did the high rise in temps cause this bloom? How did it sneak up on me so fast?

Help!

Rik

Hey there, I'm still learning about SWG's but the CYA may have been too low...? The recommendation for a SWG is 60-80. I also read a bit from Waterbear about the SWG and why it's better to use liquid chlorine to raise the levels quickly so that you don't wear out the cells in your SWG.

From what I've read on here, phosphates very rarely are reason to worry. Only a few have reported any real problems associated with them, so you may be wasting your money treating the phosphates.

You are doing the cc test correctly.

What about your other tests? What are those results? There could be a clue in there somewhere. If you treated for the CH and the PH at the same time that can result in cloudy water. Not sure why the water turned green tho.

Other than that it sounds like you are following the correct procedures. So post those other results and keep using the bleach and brushing.

Could your SWG have malfunctioned and the FC dropped and you didn't get to test it?

Hi Mom, now why does that sound so nice when I say it in my mind :)

I got it all figured out, it was not Algae Bloom, it was metals, alot. I now know the difference between green and clear and green and cloudy/hazy. First is metals, second is Algae.

It was driving me nuts, finally figured out, I am adding new water when I backwash, and voila, our town just put in one of those Water Towers, so I am suspecting alot of metals are the result.

Put in Chlor Out, enough to bring my high counts down, almost within the hour, you could see it slowly clearing up. I found out high Chlorine will cause any metals to really disperse in the water, even more then before. FC is now around 6, and just put in metal out and hopefully all will be clear by tomorrow. I was going to drain the pool, refill..add salt and would of been cheaper then going through literally tons of Chlorine if it was Algae, no way I was going to be patient and wait up to a week to get it clear.

THanks for your response, and Happy July 4th to all of my friends South of the Border.

Rik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.