Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck Jet Pressure changes (not sure why)

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck Jet Pressure changes (not sure why)

Hi folks... I just completed a project. I installed 4 deck jets in my retaining wall... each regulated with a valve, and all on 1.5 runs to 3/4 at the jet.

Question as I watch the jets, I can see sometimes the pressure changes so the jets drop down and spray my patio (or pool walk way area)... and then it will pick back up agn. I do not see a change in pressure at the filter, and I don't see any sighs of air in the pump window. Its done it a few times now, the first time I backwashed and it seemed to fix it, the second time it didn't seem to matter... it is a little windy today but I am unsure if that is the problem. Also I never see my filter pressure drop from 10... I just backwash every few weeks... not sure if that indicates something.

My pump:

Plumbing:

Jets:

Filter:

please let me know
    Pool 16 x 33.5 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle (16000 GAL)

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (3/4HP). Hayward Chlorinator CL200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 return Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck Jet Pressure changes (not sure why)

Pressure drops/surges often have to do with air getting into the pump. Check to make sure that your water level is high enough to prevent a vortex from form in in the skimmer that could draw in some air. This is especially true when people are swimming and there are more waves in the water than otherwise. The trough of a wave can stave the skimmer of water and allow air in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Would it be the same if the water was too high? It rained a lot the past 2 days and I am up to like 2 inches of skimmer opening. should I drop it to the arrow on the skimmer faceplate? I like to keep the water high if I can...
    Pool 16 x 33.5 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle (16000 GAL)

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (3/4HP). Hayward Chlorinator CL200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 return Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

4. Back To Top    #4

High water would not cause surging. Maybe someone else has another idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, I will go back wash and rinse a few times... I did replace some PVC on the pad... could air get trapped in the system somehow? I have never seen anything like this... no air in the pump window. at least not that I saw... I will look closer this time.

6. Back To Top    #6

also would it be acceptable for me to turn the returns all the way off while running the deck jets? I am testing now... I have to cut the returns back to get enough pressure to my jets.

I am watching them now, it may be the wind blowing them back... seems odd but they do throw a long ways. I will get video.

7. Back To Top    #7

Example of what I am seeing, I guess its just the wind in this case... Should I forget about it or point the jets down a tad to see if its better? I can also not run them on windy days as well...

Click pic for the video.. I was unable to embed it since its photo bucket

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a thought but the cleaner might have something to do with that. I can't tell from the video but is it climbing out of the water when the pressure in the jets drops? One way to check is turnoff the booster and see if the problem goes away.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I am not running the cleaner, just haven't taken it out yet (was cleaning this morning). good thought though...