Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: another bonding question

1. Back To Top    #1

another bonding question

i currently under construction and have been reading quite a bit about bonding, and i think i get the concept, but when reading NEC 680 (paraphrasing here), which states anything metal within 5feet of the pool must be bonded and i read a couple places anything greater than 3-4 inches in diameter that is metal must also be bonded. my question is if my fence, at any point is no closer than 10 feet from the edge of the pool does it need bonding?
    and frankly, if it doesn't require it, should i just do it any way? it only a wire, so not a terrible cost for safety.
    opinions?
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: another bonding question

Is there anything metal that is bonded within 5 ft of the fence? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ten feet away is further than the limit, so no need to bond the fence.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

hmmm, that is a good question, unless you count bonding of the concrete decking, which also brings to mind a question about that. i have a 10-40patio which has nothing but fiber in the concrete and has held up for 15 years with one small crack, so i was thinking of doing the same for the pool deck. therefore, it would not contain any rebar, does it need bonded? however, my second thought was, well if it is gonna have water all over it, it may be good to put a copper grid encased in the concrete for bonding. i have read this in several places on the net.
    additionally, my pool is a hydra composite wall(plastic) wall package. the only metal used to construct the walls is the corner upright pieces. they look like 4 inch angle iron (SS) about 42inches high that are fastened with nylon bolts and wing nuts. should i connect these to the bonding system?
    DIY 16x32vinyl lined IG, est. 22500 gallons, roman steps, cozy cove swim out. Pentair Suntouch automation, Pentair intelliflo VS, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG t-15, Hayward C4030 filter, 5 Aquasol 4 x 12 solar panels mounted on SW facing roof.

5. Back To Top    #5

The deck needs to have either rebar or a copper grid any time it is within 3' of the water. Rebar is significantly less expensive, so most people go that route. It is fine to use fiber concrete for the entire deck, and only have rebar near the pool.

If the 4 inch angle iron pieces you mention are part of the pool wall, then yes each of them must be bonded.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Oye! I hadn't thought about bonding a fence. I have a few spots where my fence is within 7' of the water.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

7. Back To Top    #7

The rules vary somewhat from place to place, and the inspector has some personal discretion, but the usual rule is {EDIT} five {/EDIT} feet.