Pool Liner

Apr 28, 2014
Bellmore, NY
Hi -

I am currently contemplating a new in-ground pool. One PB is willing to give me a steel-wall, vinyl lining with sand (and only sand) under the liner. The other PB is going with concrete-wall, vinyl lining with vermiculite. My questions is the following: Is a sand-only floor base ok for an IGP? I heard of footprints/other indentations being made as people walk - is this true? In addition any pros/cons of steel-wall vs. concrete-wall (I am in NY). The pool would be a 20 x 42 kidney shape. Thanks.

Sand can compress and leave footprints. We have vermiculite. It does not dent. Steel can corrode, especially if you have a saltwater pool and some of that water leaks to the walls. There are probably other pros and cons, but that's all I know.

All other things being equal, I would probably go for the concrete wall, vermiculite floor.

I've taken liners out of 25+ year old pools and seen steel walls that have no rust and others that are covered in it. It depends on how you look after your pool. If you get a leak in your liner or pool lines and let it go for a period of time your going to get corrosion be it salt water or chlorine. I build mainly steel walled vinyl pools, I would assume a concrete walled pool would cost a bit more. I build on ground pools with sand bottoms and they hold up well, but its true over time you will get foot prints and some dents in the bottom. The only other thing with a sand bottom is if you get a decent size leak or have a ground water issue it can wash away the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.