Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Liner

Hi -

I am currently contemplating a new in-ground pool. One PB is willing to give me a steel-wall, vinyl lining with sand (and only sand) under the liner. The other PB is going with concrete-wall, vinyl lining with vermiculite. My questions is the following: Is a sand-only floor base ok for an IGP? I heard of footprints/other indentations being made as people walk - is this true? In addition any pros/cons of steel-wall vs. concrete-wall (I am in NY). The pool would be a 20 x 42 kidney shape. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Liner

Sand can compress and leave footprints. We have vermiculite. It does not dent. Steel can corrode, especially if you have a saltwater pool and some of that water leaks to the walls. There are probably other pros and cons, but that's all I know.

All other things being equal, I would probably go for the concrete wall, vermiculite floor.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

People have 40 year old+ concrete walled pools. Not so sure about steel. We went with concrete (it was similarly priced against steel and cheaper than poly walled).
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply - Any worries of having a concrete walled pool chip/replaster etc.?

5. Back To Top    #5

It shouldn't need plaster if there's a vinyl liner, right

Why not steel or plastic walls and vermiculite bottom? That's a very common combination, and it's odd that neither builder suggested it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I've taken liners out of 25+ year old pools and seen steel walls that have no rust and others that are covered in it. It depends on how you look after your pool. If you get a leak in your liner or pool lines and let it go for a period of time your going to get corrosion be it salt water or chlorine. I build mainly steel walled vinyl pools, I would assume a concrete walled pool would cost a bit more. I build on ground pools with sand bottoms and they hold up well, but its true over time you will get foot prints and some dents in the bottom. The only other thing with a sand bottom is if you get a decent size leak or have a ground water issue it can wash away the bottom.

7. Back To Top    #7

There seems to be something against vermiculite with the contractors I have spoken with. One suggested a sand/concrete mix -- is it worth it?