Severe rust stains

tbone2

Apr 8, 2014
Hinckley, IL
So I have been slowly cleaning my 3 year neglected pool. SLAMing and getting the final debris out of the bottom. It's been slow going as I have a vinyl liner and there's some bricks and sharp debris so I've been very careful. Here's a photo of the progress.
View attachment 28754
I will try to get a close up photo in the morning, but there's a decent bit of rust staining. One spot specifically where I pulled a rusted bike out of the pool. Most in the photo is dead algae, but in the lower left of the photo I'm sure is rust staining from right where the bike was pulled out. Scrubbing with the brush or vacuum doesn't change it at all.

A couple questions. Does rust staining like this cause any actual damage to the liner? I've read some remedies on the forum to get rid of rust stains. The worst section is somewhat substantial, 2'x4' with the amount varying stains throughout that section. Is there a good way to get that much area clear?

The rust may or may not be somewhat permanent. At the least, you will be able to minimize it.

If it was my pool, I would break up the work into two jobs....

1. Rid the pool of all the algae stains and debris and get your water balanced correctly.

2. Attack the rust stains with an AA treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.