Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken impeller screw

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken impeller screw

Just when I thought the motor replacement couldn't get more complicated this happens. I just received my motor and was trying to remove the impeller. I have the Hayward Tristar model where a screw holds the impeller in. The screw was worn out and the hex key didn't fit. So I used a vice grip to turn the impeller counter clockwise. I turned little too hard and hear a snap followed by the impeller loosening. Here are some pictures. Any ideas on how I can remove the head of the impeller screw from the impeller? Thanks in advance

Attachment 28755
    Attachment 28756
    2007 built IG plaster 15'x25' 12k gallon kidney shaped pool with spa. Spa waterfalls into the pool. Hayward Tristar 2.5HP 2-speed with Hayward 450 Smart Filter (cartridge)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken impeller screw

The screw is reverse thread. I'd try drilling and using an ex out.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wait. The impelled is loose, so just screw it off. Regular threaded. Install new motor with the impeller and use a new screw.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, wasn't seeing the pictures at first.

Screw is reverse thread if that helps.

I'd try a drill buy probably just buy a new one on Amazon .... about $40.

5. Back To Top    #5

The screw head should pop out fairly easily. Just use something metal about the diameter of the screw and tap it out from the back.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. It was late in the night and didn't think to try this

- - - Updated - - -

I'm now wrestling with the question.... do I even need one? This thread seem to suggest otherwise

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/41842-Pump-impeller-screw-needed
    2007 built IG plaster 15'x25' 12k gallon kidney shaped pool with spa. Spa waterfalls into the pool. Hayward Tristar 2.5HP 2-speed with Hayward 450 Smart Filter (cartridge)

7. Back To Top    #7

Most impellers don't use one. I have installed impellers without the screw with no problems.

The main risk of unwinding the impeller is if you have compressed air in the filter that blows water backwards and reverses the impeller rotation when the pump turns off.