Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, think I have problems....

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool, think I have problems....

So heres the deal. Bought a new house last fall and it has an 24' above ground pool, the previous owners closed it before I closed on the house and I have no idea what chemicals they were putting in it to maintain the pool. I've been reading a lot on here over the last few weeks trying to learn what I can. Temps finally in the high 70's here over the weekend so I pulled the winter cover off. First impression was good, pool looked great! Clear water with a few leaves and minor dirt on the bottom, thought I was good to go. Hooked up the pump and let it run for 24 hours . Fast forward to today and I broke out the TF-100 to get a full set of test....that's when things took a turn for the worse.....

FC - 7.5
    CC or TC - 8.5
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 320
    CH - 300
    CYA - 200+( had to dilute with 50% tap water and still had trouble seeing the black dot all the way to first line on the test tube)

So from what I have read it looks like I'll be draining almost all the water to get that cya number under control. I will say that it is cloudy here today, and I plan to retest it the first chance I get with sun. I don't see how sun light could put me at a reasonable cya level though. I retested in my ridiculously bright kitchen and got the same results.
    Where do I go from here?
    Is it safe to drain all the water out of my AG pool?
    Anything else I can do or try before I dump 12k gals?
    Are these test results reasonable? I know no chemicals have gone into the pool since October
    I'm pretty confident in my testing,( other than the sun light thing mentioned above) I watched the you tube videos and read instructions prior to attempting.
    24' AG, 12k gal, Hayward Power Flo II, Hayward S190TSCP 175lb Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, think I have problems....

Welcome to TFP!

I think you made a pretty good assessment. You need to replace a lot of water. You likely should not drain all at once as that can ruin the liner. I would suggest draining 50% twice and then retest.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another Illinoisan here. Maybe someday we can overtake the Texas caucus.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

do i count smykowski im like 5 minutes from the border! Twin lakes!
    18x36 Inground 22000 gal Vinyl Lined sport pool \ P Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-rite 400SQ FT Cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 250K HD Heater, Pentair SunTouch Control System, Pentair IC40 SWG, 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Lights, Pentair Intellibrite lite Controller, Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

You want to leave a good 1+ foot of water in the pool. 50% drain/refills will get you where you need to be.

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Suprfly View Post
    do i count smykowski im like 5 minutes from the border! Twin lakes!
    If that's what it takes to beat out Texas, we'll redraw the borders, Chicago-style!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    If that's what it takes to beat out Texas, we'll redraw the borders, Chicago-style!
    lol

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, so pool math said I needed to replace 85% of the water(assuming 200cya and I want to get it to a cya of 30). The drain went well and the refill should be done later today with tap water. Little unsure what my next step should be and could use some advice.

Should I run the pump when I get it filled back up before I test? Or should I add any chemicals to the water before I test? Also, I'm a not quite sure what chemicals I should add in which order. From my endless reading in here I'm hoping the cya comes out at 30-40range and then I'll check and add chlorine to get it to the required FC of4-5 based on the chart.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, refill, run the pump. Test.
    Adjust PH first. Then add necessary FC. Post your results when you have them and we can give more specifics.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another Illinoisan here. Maybe someday we can overtake the Texas caucus.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

fill the pool - and run the full set of test results - then report back ...

I would say that pH would be first ... then chlorine ... CH probably a non issue unless it is high in your fill water ... CYA should be good since you are replacing water to get it down ... last you mess with the TA
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

11. Back To Top    #11

Run all your numbers including the CYA. Lets hope the CYA came down to a more manageable number and you can get the pool up and running to enjoy it! Keep asking questions if you have them! We're here to help!

12. Back To Top    #12

i dont know with the weather we have been having im thinking more along of the lines of "we cant beat em so join em!"
    18x36 Inground 22000 gal Vinyl Lined sport pool \ P Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-rite 400SQ FT Cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 250K HD Heater, Pentair SunTouch Control System, Pentair IC40 SWG, 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Lights, Pentair Intellibrite lite Controller, Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Here are my numbers after the refill:
    FC .5
    CC .5
    PH 7.9
    TA 230
    CH 200
    CYA 35

Water is cold about 52 degrees, I did warm up the sample I did the cya test with. All others were taken with 52 degree water. As recommended above do I still need to adjust ph and then fc? With the low chlorine, as expect, do I need to slam the pool at this point? Or just add the recommended muratic acid to adjust ph and the raise FC to 4-5?
    Last edited by JamesB13; 05-01-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added ph

14. Back To Top    #14

Lower the pH first certainly.
    What does the water look like? Do you have reason to believe you need to SLAM it? That is what determines what your FC target should be.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Water looks ok, slightly greenish tint. Lots of **** from a maple tree falling in it right now so it's kind of hard to tell. Plus it's very overcast here today so maybe it just looks dark from the lack of sun light.

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, you could always Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you need to SLAM or not. If there is green, then SLAMing is likely needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator