Replacing 2HP pump with 1.5HP

Feb 2, 2010
My pump is dead, it's super old from the look, I can't even read the model number or serial number on it. My pool is about 35k gallon. Gas heater 40k btu. Is the 1.5HP good enuf? Is it still ok for cleaning pool with 50-ft hose?
Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have any high flow water needs? (spa, waterfall, etc)? If not, I would suggest a smaller 1HP 2-speed pump.

If you do have a spa, then if you go with a smaller pump, you will likely be lowering the jet strength. So, you might want to look for a similar sized 2-speed pump.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thank you.
I bought the Hayward Tristar Energy Flo 1.5 HP from Leslie's for $650. While opening the box, I saw Amazon selling for $473. Went back to Leslie's asking if they honor the lower price or let me return. The guy is very rude and didn't honor the low price and said 15% restocking fee if I return. I shoulda research 1st before buying a big item :(

I shoulda research 1st before buying a big item :(
Yup. Because that pump is likely bigger than you need and will thus use more power than you need. For under $400 you could have had a nice 2-speed pump that would likely take a huge dent out of your electric bill. Oh well, next time.

Ah, Leslie's, never ceases to get glowing reviews here ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.