Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Multiport Valve, Sand Filter too?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Multiport Valve, Sand Filter too?

I have a pinhole leak on the bottom of my multiport valve, Hayward SP0715. Very small stream of water steadily leaks from bottom, front of valve. Was likely was installed in early 90s. Also have an old stainless steel PacFab PF-50 sand filter installed at the same time.

My question is, should I replace the sand filter at the same time as the valve due to it's vintage? As far as I know the sand filter works OK with limited time I've been able to run it (a few hours) this spring. If I do decide to replace, I know I want to go sand or DE. Any suggestions or should I hold off on replacing filter too?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Multiport Valve, Sand Filter too?

It is best to replace the multi-port and filter at the same time. They generally are a matched set, with post spacing designed to be compatible (there isn't a real standard). Also an old steel filter can't have all that much life time left. They haven't been made in a while and most of them are long gone at this point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How often were you having to backwash your current filter?

Since you are likely looking for a new filter, my typical recommendation for your big pool would be a 31" sand filter or a 72 sqft DE. Having a shorter season, you may be able to get by with something a little smaller if you do not mind cleaning it more often.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I certainly don't mind cleaning as our season is pretty short here. No real reference for how often I'd be cleaning as I've never had the pool open.

I am leaning toward replacing both.

I'll do some more reading here about DE vs Sand.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

I've settled on a sand filter. Any thoughts on top mounted valves versus side mount? Mine is currently a side mount which seems to be a more "modular" assembly where the top mounts are closer to being a single unit or integrated multiport. Thinking if I'm going to be plumbing the new valve and filter, the top mount would be simpler? Is there a difference in performance or longevity to be considered?

So far my choice is leaning at the Hayward S270T2: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...ries-S270T.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

Thinking the 27" may be undersized?

Other options are basically the same filter, one with top mount valve, one with side mount:

31" Side Mount
    31" Top Mount

Pool is 40x20 and after perusing the the pump/filter sticky thread, I should go with the 31" size as recommended or is 27" enough since I only run about 4 months per year?

7. Back To Top    #7

I think the 27 would be fine. Wasn't the old one only 22?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I prefer side mount filters. Top mount filters can't be serviced unless you disconnect the plumbing (which is usually glued in).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I prefer side mount filters. Top mount filters can't be serviced unless you disconnect the plumbing (which is usually glued in).
    I thought about this too. Only way to do it sensibly would be to install a union between the every pipe connected to the multiport. Side mount eliminates that problem.

Yep the old filter is 22". 2.6 sq ft, 50 GPM. I'll have to look how long my pump should take to turn it over.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Yep the old filter is 22". 2.6 sq ft, 50 GPM. I'll have to look how long my pump should take to turn it over.
    I am not sure what you mean by that. Turn over has nothing to do with the filter and is really meaningless as far as determining how long to run the pump: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by that. Turn over has nothing to do with the filter and is really meaningless as far as determining how long to run the pump: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    Admittedly I don't know enough about pump size, filter size and run time at this point but I'm trying my best to make an informed and economical decision on where to go with replacement of the filter and multiport while retaining my current pump. I have more learning and reading to do!

12. Back To Top    #12

Filters are only rated for a maximum flow rate. The fact that you are going larger then you existing filter with the same pump will mean the the flow through the sand bed will be slower and have better filtration.

Filters should generally sized based on the pool size, debris load, length of season.
    Pumps should be generally sized based on the water flow you need (spa, waterfall, or just filtration, etc).
    Run time is just dependent on pool size, debris load, and how clean you want the pool to look.

They are all pretty independent usually.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the clarification.

So I could go with maybe as small as a 24" sand filter it just would take longer to clear my pool after the need for a SLAM, such as I will be doing once things are operational again.

14. Back To Top    #14

Take longer to clear the pool and need to be backwashed more frequently.

15. Back To Top    #15

I like the size and pricepoint on Hayward S270T but not so much that it's a top mount valve. I thought if I did flexible hose between pump and to returns it would be more serviceable? Or should I go rigid and use unions on each line?

16. Back To Top    #16

I have top mount Hayward, just a smaller size, and that's exactly how my equipment is set up. PVC from skimmer to pump and from filter to pool, flexible tubing from pump to filter. And plenty of unions and ball valves for easy maintenance.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

17. Back To Top    #17

Yep. My current ol' timer filter and valve look like this:

As I said, pinhole crack on the current valve with pretty much every connection to it with a slow drip and visible cracks on the outsides of the valve top perimeter.

Have all the shut offs I want on the inlet side (skimmer 1, skimmer 2, floor drain). When I remove the Nature2, I may put in shut offs to each return but I'm not as concerned with the outlet side shut offs. Can't see it in the picture well but a shut off to isolate the heater from the loop... that I'd like to do as well. Will research options on how to do that while I'm at the plumbing.

Also have no clue where the booster pump used to lead to... it only is hooked to an outlet line that goes who knows where. Probably will remove the booster and cap that line, unless I figure out what it's for.

18. Back To Top    #18

I've never installed flexible PVC (and very little regular PVC). Can I use the same primer and glue for flexible PVC as rigid PVC?

19. Back To Top    #19

Pretty sure it is the same stuff.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

A top mount Hayward 244T is only $279 shipped on Amazon right now.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast