Twice a month cleaning vs weekly.

Jun 23, 2012
St Pete FL
So I take care of a neighbors pool that lives out of state. He is here maybe every 6 weeks or so. Well this winter he asked me to cut back to twice a month rather than weekly. Told him ok but at some point would need to go back to weekly. It is time because it is getting hotter and he had green algae in it last week. He still wants me to stick with the twice a month schedule. Not happy about it but it is his pool. Anyone want to chime in with your thoughts or opinions?

What he is asking is technically possible as one company here does this even in the AZ summer. But, it would not be following our methods.

You would need to raise the CYA very high (they had mine around 300ppm) and then dump gobs and gobs of chlorine in the water to sky rocket the FC (they used chlorine gas) and hope that it sticks around in 2 weeks. The use of an algaecide (polyquat) would likely be good insurance as well.

Unless they are paying you a good deal, I would not want to deal with it. But, it sounds like they want to pay you half of last year.

No is a complete sentence. If you do go along with it they are going to blame YOU for how their pool looks. I cannot see how it would be worth it for you.

"sorry but I cannot maintain your pool with that level of service. Here is the number for the local pool service. Good luck!"

Well lilpam... this one is going to come down to what you really want to do. Do you want to sit and wonder how the pool is going to look every 2 weeks?

I know I wouldn't, especially if an algae bloom broke out!

I would actually drop him if I were you but that's me. Good luck with your decision.

Don't mean to pile on but we don't teach or suggest bi-weekly pool care....it is a complete struggle and you will be blamed for any mishaps.

Most of us are hands-on pool owners that can do something daily if need be so the methods we teach are geared to that.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I pretty much agree with all of you. He has his 1st baby on the way (hence wanting to pay me half as much) and will not be traveling to Florida as often now so....he does not feel the need to maintain it as I have done in the past. I have tried to explain the ramifications of this. I also told him the price may increase because it will be harder for me to maintain. Also request he makes sure I know when he is coming in town so he does not come home to a pool that is unsafe to swim in.
Waiting to hear back from him so we will see. I am just not comfortable doing this so he may be getting a thanks but no thanks email. Guess I could ask him if he really is comfortable with the mother of his unborn child swimming in water that could potentially have algae in it!!!
THANKS

He obviously doesn't care so I'd let him go and let him be greeted by the green monster. I'm sure his wife has a brain of her own that if she swims in a green pool while pregnant, it's on her.

You could send him a nice pic of it green and say "If we stick with twice a month this is how it will look and you won't actually be able to use it when you come, are you ok with that?"

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words so maybe that would get the point across. Maybe he should just close it and let it swampify if he's not going to use it. Of course I'm sure that could cause damage in the long run. Some people just don't get it.

From my own experience, semi-monthly maintenance is possible but you really need a stable, reliable chlorination mechanism. Dirt in the pool is not a big deal but low chlorine definitely is a big deal. But you didn't mention the chlorination method. If he had a SWG, liquidator, injection pump, or even pucks it might be possible.

But I would tell him that if the pool goes south, he pays extra for the cleanup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd have a hard time with that. I check my pool daily, never mind even weekly. And if I'm responsible for something, I do it right. My guess is that if you sign up for this, you'll still check it more frequently than 2x a month, and not get paid for it. You'll likely spend more time there only do it 2x a month, than you would in total if checking weekly.

as said, its taught to be done daily here. you might skate by on pH, TA, or CH only doing it every 2 weeks, ( I do mine once a week, but I know my pool to and it is consistant on those tests) but chlorination has to be a daily task that cannot be skimped on, and dang sure not for 2 weeks. Period.

Maybe your neighbor is having financial problems. It does not sound like you are in the pool care business. I would gently advise my neighbor of the consequences of his lack of care. If I were of the means I would make it up for him/her. If not, I would advise them to contact a local company that could provide the services requested to save the neighborly friendship. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I informed him it was going to take me more time and chemicals. He is not in need of money (ER doctor) just can be very frugal at times. I figure with the baby on the way even more so now. I get it. He did say to let him now how it is going and if need be we woudl go back to once a week!!!
THANKS AGAIN

I have clients that want bi-weekly. It just doesn't work - even with SWG, there is the issue of water levels from evaporation, skimmer baskets clog - bottom drains clog - dead critters that can decompose and eat chlorine - and with tablets the chlorinators will be empty usually by 11 days. At the most I'll do 10 days, and I'll shock then as a precaution. Could end up costing them more because I charge them for extra chems. (I assume he covers all the chems?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.