New pump, low flow....

Again, what is the size of the eyeballs in the returns (diameter of the hole)? I am just trying to figure out what could be causing so much head loss. Does the filter have a bypass mode? And can you tell if the flow increase substantially in that mode?

Sorry, missed the question about the eyeball size. Right now I don't have the eyeballs installed (too cold to hold my hand in the water that long!). Nope, no bypass mode, just filter, backwash, rinse, drain, winterize and whirlpool.

Tomorrow, if it is not raining AGAIN I'm going to replace a bad splice (previous owner) in the return line near the pool. I'll see what the pressure is when splice is disconnected.

Again, what is the size of the eyeballs in the returns (diameter of the hole)? I am just trying to figure out what could be causing so much head loss. Does the filter have a bypass mode? And can you tell if the flow increase substantially in that mode?

Sorry, missed the question about the eyeball size. Right now I don't have the eyeballs installed (too cold to hold my hand in the water that long!). Nope, no bypass mode, just filter, backwash, rinse, drain, winterize and whirlpool.

Tomorrow, if it is not raining AGAIN I'm going to replace a bad splice (previous owner) in the return line near the pool. I'll see what the pressure is when splice is disconnected.

Ok, so I checked out the pressure when I had the splice opened up. the pressure dropped by about 2psi at this point. The splice was at a point about 14 feet from one jet and 25 feet from the other.
Also to note, the 20 psi I mentioned last year using the old pump was with the eyeballs in, the 15 psi I have now is without the eyeballs in.

The suction side valve has one of the ports turned off. Which is turned off, MD or skimmer, and is the 15 PSI with that turned off? What is the pressure with the other port turned off? Both on?

The MD was turned off (skimmer on). This is giving the 15 PSI.
When MD is on and Skimmer off, the PSI is about 13...but there is a suction leak on the MD line that I haven't been able to resolve yet. The leak is enough that bubbles are coming out the returns and the filter basket has a good amount of air (not quite frothing, but bubbling hard).
When both are on, it is about 13 PSI, but again, there is the MD suction leak contributing in this config.

Normally, pressure should be higher not lower when both the MD and skimmer are on but the air may be reducing the pressure. When you measured the 20 PSI from the other pump, was it in the same configuration or were both ports open?

So far, nothing that you have told me indicates that the VS is not producing decent flow rates. From the latest PSI numbers, I am estimate close to 46 GPM from that pump which is close to what you measured I think. That should be more than enough flow for the cleaner or skimmer. If there was truly a blockage in the suction line, I don't think you would be getting that much pressure but you might try back flushing the line anyway.

Thanks for all your input Mark.
I think what I'll do is search out and fix the suction leaks (and do the back flush) then re-evaluate everything. I probably will not be able to get to the suction leak investigation until next week.
Thanks again for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.