changing a pool light switch

mokey

Apr 28, 2014
ormond beach
Question: I have a security light that is on the same switch as my pool light. I would like to move them both to a Leviton two decora switch. The wiring right now is as follows: black wire from security light is pushed into rear the current switch. The white wire from the security light is coupled with the green wire and attached to the ground hole. The pool light has a yellow and red wire, each are attached to the current switch to separate poles on thewicth. Any suggestions as to how to wire the new switch? I tried matching it up the same as originally wired but it turned each on at the same time.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First ... that security light should not be wired as you described. You should never hook the neutral wire to the ground like that.

Second, the power to the pool light should be on a GFCI. I am going to guess that the power goes to a deck box (near the pool above water level) and this is where the wires from the light connect. Then you have a pair of wires running from the deck box to your switch that must switch the hot on/off and then back to the deck box. {This is how mine is done as well}

So, you only have a hot to the switch and a hot from the switch and a ground wire I am guessing. This is why your security light is not hooked to a neutral ... there is not one in the switch box. I would suggest you disconnect that security light and find an appropriate power source for it (or run another neutral from the deck box).

Please make sure there is a GFCI breaker or outlet supplying your pool light (mine did not when I bought the house and I added one).

Thanks for your input. I didn't think that the wiring looked right. I re-checked and in the immediate area of my pool deck I have no boxes. outside of the house I have a box which controls the pump, chlorinator, etc and there is a 15 amp breaker for the "pool light". I'm going to have a electrician friend take a look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.