Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new aq/trl rj hooked up last week but fc staying low

1. Back To Top    #1

new aq/trl rj hooked up last week but fc staying low

I opened the pool last Monday. it was in great shape a few leafs but water was clear. I am converting to swg from froger. my question is about the fc and how long does it take to rise .when I opened it my test reading were fc 0 ph 7.6 ta 110 ch 250 cya 65 temp 60 degrees. I added 7 bags of pool salt to bring it 3200ppm. I ran the pump 24 hours then turned on the system , set it at 80 % on the dial and left it for 5 days then checked everything again. system seems to be working fine , no flashing lights. but my fc is only at .5 . I didn't trust my test so I went to leslies for a test. their results were , fc-0, tc-0, ph-7.8, ta-110, cya-100, ch-250,tds-3000 salt 2700. vinyl pool 13500 gal, . how long will it take for my fc to raise . thanks for any help on this matter. I think I am going to like the sws
    13500 gal , above ground 24 round 52 deep, vinyl, 200lbs sand filter,, 1.5 hp one speed, aqua trol-rj

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new aq/trl rj hooked up last week but fc staying low

You need to SLAM the pool. A SWG should not be depended on to raise the FC level from zero. Get everything balanced to normal levels, including FC, before counting on the SWG to maintain things.

CYA at 100 is also a problem. The CYA test will read any level above 100 as 100, so your actual CYA level could be far higher. Before SLAMing the pool you should replace water to get the CYA level down below 100.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

ok I got it, slam with bleach ,right. as the cya is high per leslies my test kit shows it at 65. last year late summer I dumped about half my water to lower my cya because they said it was high. their test showed higher than mine last year as well. I think before I dump water and salt, maybe I should have it checked somewhere else and see how that goes. thanks for the info on slamming I thought the cell would bring it up on its own.
    13500 gal , above ground 24 round 52 deep, vinyl, 200lbs sand filter,, 1.5 hp one speed, aqua trol-rj

4. Back To Top    #4

WHat test kit are you using?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

What test kit were you using to measure the CYA at 65? If this number is from your own testing, I would trust that more than the pool stores and would SLAM the pool according to the 65 number. Run an OCLT the first night to see how much FC you are losing overnight.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

taylor total poolcare dpd test kit

- - - Updated - - -

it is a taylor test kit mfg for leslies

7. Back To Top    #7

what is oclt? never mind I got it, overnight test

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tlblack View Post
    taylor total poolcare dpd test kit

- - - Updated - - -

it is a taylor test kit mfg for leslies
    Searching leslies no such animal. But their dpd test kits do not test for cya
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

tlblack probably means either the Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit or Taylor K-2005-C - Service Complete DPD Test Kit, both of which include the common black dot CYA test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

yes that's it k 2005 c

- - - Updated - - -

im going to slam as soon as this rain stops for a day or two. it is hard to keep the pool clean right now with all the helicopters falling in it from the darn maple tree

11. Back To Top    #11

In order to properly SLAM you need to have the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is not a part of that kit, thus why it is not one of the recommended test kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!