Apr 28, 2014
guelph
I have a 17,000 gallon pool with an older single speed 3/4hp pump on 115V.

I would like to improve my household efficiency, but all the VS pumps require 230V and can't run on the existing 115V.

I wondered is it made any sense to add a second pump rather than replace the existing with a variable speed or 2 speed.

There are lots of options for small 15gpm self-priming magnetic drive pumps with 1 inch I/O, with very high efficiencies.

If I added a bypass and used the existing pump for vacuuming only - I could upgrade relatively inexpensively compared to adding a new 2 pole 230V and running conduit outside...

thoughts?

Welcome to TFP David. Someone with more experience than I will be along to help you. :)

Is this an inground pool I assume?

It is often easier to find a 115V 2-speed motor to install on your existing pump than it is to find a full 115V 2-speed pump.
With more information on your current pump and motor, someone can likely help you find a suitable motor.

I live in Ontario where the cost of electricity is variable during peak and off peak times, and all homes have time-of-use meters. Including cost of transmission, daytime use is near 25 cents per KWH. The attached shows the time of use data for May 31, and the relative cost of cooking dinner!

cooking.jpg

I have tried to reduce my electric footprint; I use LED bulbs, line dry some of my washing, and all outlets with phantom power draw can be powered down by remote control of relays. My daily power consumption is typically less than 8KWH per day during "non-pool" season. The pump uses 15KWH per day during pool season... Hydro cost rises from 60 per month to 180 per month during the 3-4 months that the pool is used. I realize the ROI is only a couple of years for a good pump.

I'd really like to put a variable speed drive on the existing pumphead but nobody makes 115V VS motors!

My pump has an Emerson EB227 single phase motor, and ITT Marlowimpeller. I have inquired about replacement motors and impeller seals but I can't find a suitable 3/4hp 115V 2 speed motor - ie one with a PSC and high efficiency a low speed. Nobody I have spoken to is confident about the impeller seals for Marlow ITT.

I thought about getting a used 1/2hp Hayward Superpump - removing the failed motor - and making a frankenpump with a new 2 speed 1/2HP 115V motor. It was at that point I started wondering if a second pump would not be easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.