Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How is your thermometer attached to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How is your thermometer attached to pool?

I know that sound like a dumb question. Recently I had the pool replastered and when they asked me if I wanted to keep the hook things that one would use to attach a safety rope, I said "no". We would never put up a rope separating the shallow from the deep. But... I did use one of those to attach my thermometer to keep it from floating into the skimmer. I have trees that hang over the pool and I need every bit of skimmer space for the debris. How is your thermometer attached? Is there some other kind I could buy that eliminates the floating aspect?
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How is your thermometer attached to pool?

I've seen them that don't float, but they generally have a string attached to them.

Do you have metal stairs or something else a string could be attached to?
    http://www.amazon.com/Swimming-Pool-...ol+thermometer

Personally I don't like this...but someone might
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-L1-The...ol+thermometer

This was my first thought - temp gun.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pixnor%C2%AE-D...ol+thermometer
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

I just got a Pentair Inline thermometer and plumbed it into the plumbing by the filter. Also have a second in the solar outlet.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a wireless outdoor unit that has a waterproof probe. It is strapped to my hand rail with the probe submersed and on the side of the step. So far the probe hasn't caused any problem, but the outside transmitter (strapped to the rail) got soaked and I found out it is not waterproof (only rain resistant). I'm working on getting a small white plastic box to enclose the transmitter. The nice thing is, I have the indoor unit on the dresser in my bedroom and can see the pool water temp.

Right now, it is 82-83 degrees in the morning and about 87 degrees in the late afternoon. Yesterday was perfect for swimming .
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm lazy, I've used a boot shoe string, it's thick and last long, tied one end to the therometer and the other end to the skimmer basket cover through the hole. I can pull up the lid with out sticking my finger into the hole. I've been startled by frogs and such in the skimmer basket. So far no snakes in the skimmer basket. Got a few black racers in the back yard. Hopefully they stay out of the pool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

I have one of these that just bobs freely in the pool... It sends the data to my Oregon Scientific weather station base station inside the house so I can not only see the temp of my pool, but feed the data to my computer and do neat things with it online. Yes, I can see my pool temp anywhere, anytime via my iPhone...and my friends can see if the pool is to their liking before inviting themselves over as well.

thwr800_5_2.jpg

In the winter months the bobber resides in my hot tub...hence why my weather "banner" (a compact version of my weather data) shows my hot tub temp live right now.

Mark
    -- Courtice, Ontario, Canada. "Cabo San Backyardo"
    12x16 3/4 inground - Hayward 3400VSP, Sand Filter, Rooftop 4x20 solar w/ Hayward GL235 automation.
    Previously installed at a neighbors, before, during & after photos HERE!

7. Back To Top    #7

I like mine in the skimmer lid like posted above, but would never pay that much. I got it for free from a guy doing work on my pool.

Plus I have the pool water and cell temp sensors in my automation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

one tied to the step ladder and the automation has it to.. also the heater shows current temp as well.
    18x36 Inground 22000 gal Vinyl Lined sport pool \ P Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-rite 400SQ FT Cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 250K HD Heater, Pentair SunTouch Control System, Pentair IC40 SWG, 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Lights, Pentair Intellibrite lite Controller, Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just tie mine off to the ladder. I actually broke it a few days ago by stepping on it in the garage. *crunch* Looks like we need a new thermometer baby!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

I keep mine in the skimmer basket with a string tied to the lid, same as bobodaclown. I also have one built into my SWG.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

12. Back To Top    #12

I actually have two, both ties to a string on one of the support posts. One floats, and the other stays close to the bottom. Both are near the heater return, with the string long enough for me to check heater return temp.

My heater is plumbed separate from the filter system, using a smaller pump, as noted in my sig line.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

I keep mine tied to a string attached to an upright post. It sits on the bottom. I like to know the temp on the bottom vs the top.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a little statue of a little boy sitting, with a fishing pole, fishing. Thermometer is tied to the end of the fishing pole.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

@ Divin Dave: Pics or it didn't happen!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am looking into them all and am sure we will have some kind of answer soon. Thank you all again!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014