Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Owner built gunite startup chemicals???

1. Back To Top    #1

Owner built gunite startup chemicals???

Currently building a 15x30 gunite pool. 3.5 to 6" deep salt water pool. Diamond Brite finish. Since I am doing a owner build I will not have a builder support on startup of the pool. Can someone please tell me what chemicals I will need upon startup of my pool? I have had a pool years ago so have some knowledge of pool chemistry. I'm sure many things have changed since my last pool though.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Owner built gunite startup chemicals???

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...w-pool-plaster

Get it balanced and running as a bleach pool. After a month you can add salt and get the SWG going. If you don;t have a proper test kit yet, order one now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...w-pool-plaster

Get it balanced and running as a bleach pool. After a month you can add salt and get the SWG going. If you don;t have a proper test kit yet, order one now.
    Thanks for the reply and the link. I purchased the TP-100 this morning. I've been lurking around here for some time now and have seen it mentioned many times. As for the chemicals I was more looking for what I needed to purchase.

Todd

4. Back To Top    #4

That depends on your fill water. The only things you need for sure are CYA and chlorine. But chances are you will need other things, depending on you fill water numbers and startup style.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

With brand new plaster you're going to need some muriatic acid as well...probably at least a few gallons.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't use much acid for a bicarb startup. You use lots and lots of acid for an acid start.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

You're still going to need it, even if not in the first couple weeks.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

From all the info from OnBalance, if you have the choice, the bi-carb start-up seems like the way to go. Although it also appears to be more work, but should provide a better product.

Here is the thread he made, might want to search for more of his posts as well.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...or-TFP-members
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That depends on your fill water. The only things you need for sure are CYA and chlorine. But chances are you will need other things, depending on you fill water numbers and startup style.
    Jason,
    Here's a link to my water well thread I asked about sometime last year. This pool has been in the making for several years now. Those were the sample results we got from the sample back then. I can have them all ran again. I was also considering going to a water softner as well if $$$ permit.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58009-Well-Water

Todd

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 36racin View Post
    Conductivity 271
    PH 7.8
    Fe 0.09ppm
    Ca 30
    Hardness 50ppm
    Alk 120ppm
    Those numbers look fairly good. Based on that you will need some calcium, but not in the first week.

The next big question is what kind of startup you want to do. A bicarb startup is the best, but it is more work than an acid start (which is the main alternative). For a bicarb startup you need quite a bit of baking soda. For an acid startup you need quite a bit of acid.

11. Back To Top    #11

just had pool finish redone with colorscapes which i believe is the same as diamond brite. finish is dark grey (cornerstone). my startup guy went with acid startup and 4 days later pool finish looks very good.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is another link for information on why the Bicarb Start-up is best. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...d-Why-it-Works

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by fgonz View Post
    just had pool finish redone with colorscapes which i believe is the same as diamond brite. finish is dark grey (cornerstone). my startup guy went with acid startup and 4 days later pool finish looks very good.
    Ok is a acid startup and acid wash of the plaster the same thing?? I do have acid wash included in my plaster(diamond brite) install price.