Converting to a dual speed motor

Hi,

My swimming pool (approximately 10,000 gallons) is currently equipped with a 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo single speed pump that I run for 6 to 8 hours a day depending on the time of year. I am interested in buying a new dual-speed pump motor to save energy and saw that you had purchased a 3/4 HP dual-speed Century B2980 pump motor a few years ago. I would really appreciate if you could answer a couple of questions for me. I am curious on how many hours a day you run your new dual-speed motor and how much energy savings you have experienced with it. The guys down at the pool store want to sell me an entire new variable speed pump/motor for around $1200, as they say it would be even more efficient than a dual-speed pump motor replacement. However, it seems to me that I would probably save about as much energy simply by converting to the dual-speed Century B2980 pump motor (at a cost of about $320 delivered) and running it exclusively on the low speed. I'd really appreciate your thoughts or any advice that you'd be willing to share.

Thanks, Joe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.