Help! Repair or Replace my pump?

JeffRH

Apr 27, 2014
Roseville, CA
I am looking for some guidance on whether to repair or replace my pump, and whether I am getting a straight story from the service tech. I have a Jandy Stealth pump, model #SHPF1.0-2. It has an A.O. Smith Century Two Speed motor, part 7-193989-5 according to the label. It is a two speed pump (3450/1725 rpm) with amps listed as "SF 7.2/3.0" and 230 V.

On April 18 (today is 4/27) I noticed that the high speed was not coming on when scheduled. I also could not get it to come on using the manual override. There would be a slight buzzing sound coming from the motor for 2 or 3 seconds, which then stopped and a similar noise came from the control panel. I was not sure if this was a motor problem or a controls problem.

After calling 4 different pool service companies, one finally sent someone out to look at it on April 24. I could not be there. I talked to him afterwards on the phone and he said that it was my pump, not the controls. He said he could get the high speed to come on but not stay on. He was quick to mention that he could put a new variable speed pump on there that would save a lot of money and be a lot quieter due to the type of magnets in the motor. He also said I could get a $200 rebate from Roseville Electric. It was all sounding good so far because I hate the loud noise of the existing pump/motor.

Later he sent e-mailed a quote for a Sta Rite Intellipro Variable Speed Pump. The quote was $1,499 including installation, all parts, labor, plumbing, electrical, and programming for optimum performance. He did not provide the model number in the quote but when I asked he said it was a P6E6VS4H-209L. I also asked how much it would cost to fix my existing motor and he told me $650-$750 but didn't offer any specifics as to what would be involved with that or what was actually wrong.

Both of these costs seem high to me. Amazon has a complete brand new motor/pump version of my existing setup for $620. I haven't been able to find the exact replacement motor, but I see similar ones for ~$200. As for the StaRite pump, Amazon is showing one vendor at $896 and another at $1,219 - both are the delivered cost. Unfortunately the photos look slightly different.

So, I am left feeling as if this guy is trying to sell me a pump that I don't really need at a cost that could be way too high. On the other hand, I have not been able to get anyone else to evaluate what is wrong (which is strange in itself). The thought of a super quiet pump sounds good, but $1400 is a lot of money for us.

Does anyone out there have recommendations, thoughts, cheap shots? Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance.

There are a number of possible problems with your current pump, it may be as simple as a loose connection, at worst it is a bad motor which should be $250 or so. Without knowing your electrical rate it is hard to say if a variable speed would ever pay for itsself.

Ike

In a nutshell, the new variable speed pumps are very nice and do save on electricity. The problem is that they tend to break more frequently and I don't know if there is enough historical information to tell us how long they go before a breakdown or an expensive repair. So you may save on electric and possibly recover your increased cost for the vs pump, but if you don't (due to a breakdown), it gets very expensive. You may want to weigh the value of the decrease in noise if that is really a consideration for you.

Many DIYers would really just replace the motor if that was determined to be the problem (and it sounds like that is the problem here).

I've been getting help from the people on the forum for the last couple of weeks...now I have a chance to give some input!
Two years ago my pump motor started to make a lot of noise. Took the motor/pump (it was a 1 hp Hayward, not sure of the model) to have it looked at. The guy said the motor was failing, for $300 he could replace the motor. I went ahead with it. It was good for most of that summer, but then the pump component started to leak. I fiddled and farted around with it the rest of the year and all of last year. I couldn't take it any more, so I bought a new VS pump which I am very happy with.
My input, be really comfortable with the repair guy and that the existing pump component is in solid condition...otherwise, maybe a good time for a new pump (although I don't know the age of your pump)

I contacted Jandy to see what help they could offer. Not much. They didn't offer any ideas and wouldn't sell me any parts. Said I had to go through an authorized dealer. They gave me a number of a guy who hasn't called me back to tell me if he can help. I guess all these pool service guys must be busy with easy jobs making a lot of money.

I am confident in my abilities to replace the motor. Hopefully there is not some other electrical problem that fries a new motor, assuming I can get my hands on one. Does anyone have a good source for Jandy replacement pool pump motors? I have not been able to locate one yet. The model numbers are in my original post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.