Water Hardiness ???

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
My water test strip only tests for Chlorine, PH, and Alk. I took a sample of my water to the pool store and my total hardiness was way low along with my chlorine ? (What a rip off this was by the way) The computer printout stated to add 11 pounds of this and 10 pounds of that etc.... I just used a little of what was needed and I am in range according to my test stripes. I did not add no way near what was recommended. Water is very clear. Should I be concerned with the total hardiness ??? Thx.

May I suggest a bit of (re)reading?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

There is a reason we advocate the TF-100 (primarily), and the Taylor K-2006 test kits. Either one will get you more accurate results than the pool store and especially test strips. The pool store results are often skewed -- intentional or not-- , and the result is $$ out of your pocket. Strips go bad rather quickly, and will give false readings within days of opening the package (ask me how I know).

As Jason said, you need to invest in one of the recommended test kits.

We have all been where you are, with a troubled pool that we just can't get right. Once we learned how to tell what our pool really needs, the bleeding from the wallet stopped. This is achieved by learning how to test our water with accurate, repeatable results. Try that with test strips or pool stores!

Okay, now we see you have a vinyl pool, no, low hardness doesn't really matter. High hardness can still cause scaling, but low hardness will not damage a vinyl pool the way it will a plaster shell. That being said... some is desirable to stop foaming and possibly protect any fiberglass steps you may have. There have been reports that low CH causes fiberglass blistering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.