Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: add CYA w Triclor 3 inch pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

add CYA w Triclor 3 inch pucks?

I have some Triclor 3 inch pucks that I would like to use up. I have never raised my CYA with anything other than the powder stabilizer.

My CYA = 10 (could still see the dot at a full test tube so it could be zero but let's just assume 10 )and I am going to target 40

My FC is 7, of course I need to get some CYA in there.

Would you guys not recommend I use the pucks to raise my CYA? Maybe it will take an enormous amount of pucks which is kind of silly I suppose. I can wait a few days to allow my FC to come down a little bit if you want. There's really no swimming going on for another month or so.Water temperature = 64

How does one calculate the amount of 3 inch pucks needed to raise the CYA?
    Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: add CYA w Triclor 3 inch pucks?

It's fine to use the pucks because you know that they add CYA and know when to stop. TFPC is not about using only certain things, it is about understanding your pool and knowing the outcome of the things you put in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just realize that they are going to add it slowly and during that time you will lose a lot of the FC to the sun.

Using PoolMath, each 8oz tablet will add 2.8ppm Fc and 1.7ppm CYA to your pool. So if you want to add 30ppm CYA you will need to use 17-18 tablets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought, too slow.
    I have already added the powder & I'll re-test CYA in a week or so.
    I will use a puck or 2 slowly over the season just to use them up.
    1- I should avoid placing them on the plaster? Is the photo OK? In a basket that won't float but that basket is resting on a tupperware so no direct contact on the plaster? Want me to rig it with nylon twine so it floats somewhere? Want me to sink the thing in the deep end or center of the pool? Or rig it so it's in front of te returns? I had a flex tube skimmer pipe fail/crush/collapse 1 time & I wonder if pucks in the skimmer were a contributing factor?

2-"Using PoolMath, each 8oz tablet will add 2.8ppm Fc and 1.7ppm CYA to your pool"
    Where do you guys see the calculations on the Pool Math?

3- Do you guys all go with "poolMath" now & not the older "poolCalculator"; because I like to follow what TFP follows, what is the difference?

FYI I am only using up some pucks I had from years ago, when they are gone I'm done with pucks.

Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Save the pucks for vacation, unless you have a massive amount.

A floater is the best way to add them. Less than ten bucks. It will get used when you're on vacation; it's a worthwhile investment. It will keep the pucks from resting against the plaster and out of the skimmer.

Scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath. It will also show you what those pucks will do to pH. And if pH drops, so will TA. It's not really simplifying things if you have to add a bunch of borax and baking soda to counteract the pucks.

PoolMath is the same as Poolcalculator, but it's been updated to reflect the new higher-strength Chlorox and a few other things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!