add CYA w Triclor 3 inch pucks?

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I have some Triclor 3 inch pucks that I would like to use up. I have never raised my CYA with anything other than the powder stabilizer.

My CYA = 10 (could still see the dot at a full test tube so it could be zero but let's just assume 10 )and I am going to target 40

My FC is 7, of course I need to get some CYA in there.

Would you guys not recommend I use the pucks to raise my CYA? Maybe it will take an enormous amount of pucks which is kind of silly I suppose. I can wait a few days to allow my FC to come down a little bit if you want. There's really no swimming going on for another month or so.Water temperature = 64°

How does one calculate the amount of 3 inch pucks needed to raise the CYA?
Thanks

It's fine to use the pucks because you know that they add CYA and know when to stop. TFPC is not about using only certain things, it is about understanding your pool and knowing the outcome of the things you put in your pool.

Just realize that they are going to add it slowly and during that time you will lose a lot of the FC to the sun.

Using PoolMath, each 8oz tablet will add 2.8ppm Fc and 1.7ppm CYA to your pool. So if you want to add 30ppm CYA you will need to use 17-18 tablets.

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought, too slow.
I have already added the powder & I'll re-test CYA in a week or so.
I will use a puck or 2 slowly over the season just to use them up.
1- I should avoid placing them on the plaster? Is the photo OK? In a basket that won't float but that basket is resting on a tupperware so no direct contact on the plaster? Want me to rig it with nylon twine so it floats somewhere? Want me to sink the thing in the deep end or center of the pool? Or rig it so it's in front of te returns? I had a flex tube skimmer pipe fail/crush/collapse 1 time & I wonder if pucks in the skimmer were a contributing factor?

2-"Using PoolMath, each 8oz tablet will add 2.8ppm Fc and 1.7ppm CYA to your pool"
Where do you guys see the calculations on the Pool Math?

3- Do you guys all go with "poolMath" now & not the older "poolCalculator"; because I like to follow what TFP follows, what is the difference?

FYI I am only using up some pucks I had from years ago, when they are gone I'm done with pucks.

Thanks

Save the pucks for vacation, unless you have a massive amount.

A floater is the best way to add them. Less than ten bucks. It will get used when you're on vacation; it's a worthwhile investment. It will keep the pucks from resting against the plaster and out of the skimmer.

Scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath. It will also show you what those pucks will do to pH. And if pH drops, so will TA. It's not really simplifying things if you have to add a bunch of borax and baking soda to counteract the pucks.

PoolMath is the same as Poolcalculator, but it's been updated to reflect the new higher-strength Chlorox and a few other things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.