Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Conversion

I am 99% sure that I am going to convert to salt water this year. I have researched on TFP and SWG internet searches, so I believe that I understand the pros and cons. The biggest reason for converting, after 12 years of using tri-chlor tablets, is ease of maintenance. We are sometimes away from the pool for 7-10 days and I always worry about spikes up and down in the chlorine levels due to weather, etc. Obviously, I struggle with high CYA levels due to the tri-chlor. I am planning to buy the Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital RC42 and install it myself. The reviews on the Pool Pilot appear to be very good, although I understand that any brand has maintenance and may have problems. So now to my question: As I zero in on this project, any comments, tips, thoughts, helping hints, etc. on the conversion. I have already read the Pool Pilot installation manual on line, but for those of you that have gone through this process you may have some additional thoughts or comments that are not covered in what I have researched.

Thanks,
    Neal
    Modified mountain lake in-ground gunite pool with raised in-ground gunite children's/fountain pool, 24000 gallons, waterfall, fountain, jetted seating/table area, Sta-rite S8M150 modular media filter, Sta-rite Max-E-Therm 333HD LP heater, three Sta-rite Max-E-Glass U27-880 1 HP pumps (filtration, fountain, jets), Pool Pilot Digital SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Conversion

Mostly just wanted to say welcome to TFP.

Some materials like certain stone do not hold up well to salt exposure. Flagstone often does not do well depending upon it's type. convenience is a great reason to change to salt however, and many people love their salt chlorine pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do you plan on having the Pool Pilot control the pump?
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

Love my pool pilot nano +. I installed myself last summer. Not to bad- screw the control unit to something solid, wire it up to your pump timer, put the unit inline with your plumbing.

For your home depot list:
    -Wire
    -Plastic conduit and fittings to run the wire in
    -PVC primer and glue
    -I recommend the ratcheting PVC shears- they are great for cutting pipe and you don't get PVC dust all in your plumbing.

I got mine from salt pool guys (see post above me)

45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

But, if you're pvc is old, it may be brittle and shatter unevenly. I got mine at Lowe's. Like he said, no dust. But one of my pipes was old and I had to use my hack saw after all. You might Consider doing a practice cut first.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I would like to have the SWG control the pump. Currently, my pump run 24x7, which I think is overkill, but it is the way the builder set it up. My pump is a single speed. Do I need the relay board in the pool pilot to have it control the pump? What about the propane heater?

Neal

- - - Updated - - -

All of my equipment is inside a pool house, so no sun or weather deterioration. But, thanks for the tip.
    Modified mountain lake in-ground gunite pool with raised in-ground gunite children's/fountain pool, 24000 gallons, waterfall, fountain, jetted seating/table area, Sta-rite S8M150 modular media filter, Sta-rite Max-E-Therm 333HD LP heater, three Sta-rite Max-E-Glass U27-880 1 HP pumps (filtration, fountain, jets), Pool Pilot Digital SWG