Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH will not raise

1. Back To Top    #1

CH will not raise

I have a CH reading of 110 and the pool math called for 40lbs of calcium chloride. I added half of a 50lb bag and tested again and got the same reading. Two days later i added almost the entire remaining amount for a total of 45lbs and I still get the same CH reading...I used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Can anyone tell me what went wrong...if this was the wrong item will it hurt my pool?
    26k gallons IG painted Plaster
    Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter model ST1152 1.5V 1A
    A. O. Smith Pump 2.2HP 3450RPM (runs 5hrs/day)
    Vacuum model BY06-09 3/4HP 3450RPM (runs 2hrs/day)
    Manteca, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH will not raise

It appears you just added some expensive salt. Many people add salt to improve the feel of the water, so no harm done.

You added Sodium Chloride when what you wanted was Calcium Chloride. Where did you get the CH reading from, by the way? I find it hard to believe you suffer from low CH in California.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The product pictured at the destination of the link is labeled halite, which is sodium chloride. The sodium chloride won't cause any problems, though there are sometimes impurities, usually stuff that doesn't dissolve and needs to be vacuumed up.

You want calcium chloride.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

i took the readings from my tfp test kit...so it looks like some ice melters are calcium chloride and some are just sodium chloride...i guess i got the wrong one, no wonder it was half the price of the other brands..i guess i will have soft silky water from the salt
    26k gallons IG painted Plaster
    Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter model ST1152 1.5V 1A
    A. O. Smith Pump 2.2HP 3450RPM (runs 5hrs/day)
    Vacuum model BY06-09 3/4HP 3450RPM (runs 2hrs/day)
    Manteca, Ca.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I find it hard to believe you suffer from low CH in California.
    Where I am in N. California, the fill water CH is about 140 (the Russian River is the source). Not familiar with Manteca, however.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.