Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP One skimmer Sucking air????

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP One skimmer Sucking air????

Ok here it goes, I have an in ground gunite pool here in south Texas. Its about 6 years old has 2 Skiimmers and 2 main drains and auto fill. First off the water level is normal, and I run all 4 pump intakes IE skimmers and Drains open. Well this morning my wife comes in and says something is wrong with the pool... Great I think, this was supposed to be my lazy Sunday! Sure enough it was sucking air big time into the pump basket. To the point where the pump was losing prime. So here is what I figured out.

With the skimmer basket closest to the pump turned off no air. If it turn it on just a little it sucks water so fast from the skimmer basket it starts pulling in air. Thats with all 3 other intakes open.

Ususally when I isolate just one skimmer, like for cleaning the bottom, that one isolated skimmer sucks so hard it almost begins to suck air. When I isolate the far from the pump skimmer and suck just from that one far skimmer It acts like it's clogged partially. It will feed the pump but not with I would think to be the normal gusto! It provides enough water to fill the pump basket but does not even get a vortex turning in the skimmer.

My hypothesis is maybe the far skimmer is partially clogged and when given the chance the closest skimmer to the pump does all the work(path of least resistance). Anyone know whats going on??

Oh, the far skimmer that I think may have a partial clog usually catches about 90% of the skimmed debris from the pool. Its always the dirtiest by far...........
    16k I.G. Gunite, SWCG, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, .75hp Booster Pump w/ Hayward Phantom Cleaner,Hayward C5025, swimclear cartridge filter, 400k Hayward heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP One skimmer Sucking air????

Check that the weir - the flap - isn't sticking. That will act as a dam and it will suck the water down way faster than it can refill around the sides.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard, I am a complete dumb *****!! YOU ARE THE MAN! Wow! That...Is...Embarrassing... Problem solved! Why would it stick now? Should I put some tube lube on the top where the weir contacts to prevent further sticking? Funny thing is I consider myself very handy and would laugh at someone that missed that easy fix. As the matter of fact I just put a timing belt on my Tundra yesterday which is no small task and was looking forward to a lazy Sunday LOL!

Thanks for the quick reply and giving me my Sunday back!
    16k I.G. Gunite, SWCG, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, .75hp Booster Pump w/ Hayward Phantom Cleaner,Hayward C5025, swimclear cartridge filter, 400k Hayward heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't feel alone. I had that happen to me as well. I took a wood/metal file and filed down the side of the weir that was snagging the skimmer wall. Problem solved.

Move weir back and forth on it's pivot and mark the edge area that is rubbing. Remove the weir, take a look down where your weir pivots, you should see a release mechanism. Then file away, replace, test again.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Hawk will do!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the exact same problem last summer with the flap sticking closed. just seemed to get stuck randomly. readjusting the pivots seemed to have helped.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump