Starting off to be a banner year for wildlife in the pool

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
We live fairly close to a wet land (swamp) so we tend to get more than the average number of visits from snakes, frogs, turtles, and even racoons now and then. This year has started off with a multitude of critters. I've lost track of how many snakes I've pulled out. There have been two turtles and even a mouse, but there is one frog that has decided our pool is his home. I pretty sure it's the same one I've pulled out four times. It's an adult Leopard frog and I have no idea how he is getting in the pool. We have a 6' board fence around the pool and there are no obvious openings that I can see, but he has found one somewhere because every time I catch him I put on the other side. He is fast underwater and hard to catch and the only way I can is to chase him around the pool and keep him under water until he wears out. The chlorine level in the pool is high (7 ppm) and I thought it hurt his skin, but apparently it does not bother him. If he gets in after today I'll take him about mile down the road to a good sized pond and turn him loose.

I have had two giant toads, ike the biggest ones I have ever seen around here, that have taken to swimming in the pool on warm days. And I always have snakes, but they started early this year. Thankfully nothing with fur yet. I can't stand pulling poor dead furry things out of the pool.

And I totally get your point about driving him to a new location. I threatened to do that with the snakes last year. The goofy things were in the pool so much that they quit "running" from the net when I came to scoop them out. I know I was pulling the same ones out all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.