Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting off to be a banner year for wildlife in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting off to be a banner year for wildlife in the pool

We live fairly close to a wet land (swamp) so we tend to get more than the average number of visits from snakes, frogs, turtles, and even racoons now and then. This year has started off with a multitude of critters. I've lost track of how many snakes I've pulled out. There have been two turtles and even a mouse, but there is one frog that has decided our pool is his home. I pretty sure it's the same one I've pulled out four times. It's an adult Leopard frog and I have no idea how he is getting in the pool. We have a 6' board fence around the pool and there are no obvious openings that I can see, but he has found one somewhere because every time I catch him I put on the other side. He is fast underwater and hard to catch and the only way I can is to chase him around the pool and keep him under water until he wears out. The chlorine level in the pool is high (7 ppm) and I thought it hurt his skin, but apparently it does not bother him. If he gets in after today I'll take him about mile down the road to a good sized pond and turn him loose.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting off to be a banner year for wildlife in the pool

Sounds like a plan, I wouldn't want him back either. Probably not so funny to you...but a funny story. He's persistent!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

He likes your pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had two giant toads, ike the biggest ones I have ever seen around here, that have taken to swimming in the pool on warm days. And I always have snakes, but they started early this year. Thankfully nothing with fur yet. I can't stand pulling poor dead furry things out of the pool.

And I totally get your point about driving him to a new location. I threatened to do that with the snakes last year. The goofy things were in the pool so much that they quit "running" from the net when I came to scoop them out. I know I was pulling the same ones out all the time.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

5. Back To Top    #5

If all else fails, frog legs are quite a delicacy. Not sure about snake.

2 mice floaters in mine this week. I'd rather have amphibians and reptiles...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

My problem is centipedes and rolly pollys......and a skink that loves to sunbath by the pool...eeww!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a raccoon that likes to use our spa spillover into the pool for his own private wash off area. Plenty of muddy little paw prints as evidence in the morning.