Waterline Tile??

We're in the process of renovating our pool including new pool tile. We played it safe and went with standard pool tile.

I'm in no way an expert on the subject but I read porcelain is the best option because it's not as porous (holds up with chemistry) and better in cold temperatures. You probably don't have to worry about freezing in LA, so you may be able to get away with other alternatives. Stone and glass seem to be popular alternatives.

We looked at Mastertile.com, Nptpool.com, Nobiletile.com, lightstreamsglasstile.com, poolsupplyunlimited.com, ctileplusonline.com

Lightstreams makes the most beautiful tile I have ever seen. We wanted to use it but it is all custom order and we were too far along in our build to wait. I saw them at the Pool and Spa show in New Orleans last year. Check them out at lightstreamsglasstile.com as noted by mac4lyfe.

We found a Daltile CS56 Porcelain tile in 6x6 that we really like. Just needed to ensure it would work in a swimming pool environment. Other wise the Fujima Joya 602 we found is way more expensive. Almost triple the cost. Will need to find some accent tiles for the edge of the tanning ledge, steps and sitting bench.

We went with 1x2 travertine. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good choice for a saltwater pool, but I absolutely love it in my chlorine pool. We have extremely hard water and my CH was up to 720. We had some calcium buildup when we opened the pool this year, but the tiles don't show any of the haze because of the earthy tile color. I had to chisel off some calcium "teeth" from the grout but the waterline looks new still. Here's a pic...you can see the tile below the spa.

27x1346.jpg

Nice looking pool.
Travertine is a soft stone and have read numerous forums(John Bridge, etc.) where it is not a good waterline tile. Salt can be more damaging than the chlorine and other chemicals.
Is this a travertine "color/finish" tile?

No it's real travertine. It's only a year old but so far so good bit will be a huge headache if the tiles start popping off but so far so good. They did use the proper grout and thinset for waterline tile. I probably should seal it but I'll wait and see. For now I'm just making sure I never get algae. That would probably be a mess!

We went with 1x2 travertine. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good choice for a saltwater pool, but I absolutely love it in my chlorine pool. We have extremely hard water and my CH was up to 720. We had some calcium buildup when we opened the pool this year, but the tiles don't show any of the haze because of the earthy tile color. I had to chisel off some calcium "teeth" from the grout but the waterline looks new still. Here's a pic...you can see the tile below the spa.

27x1346.jpg

Wow, beautiful pool. What kind of stone is that? I think it's one I almost settled on but I wasn't sure it would look nice. Guess I was WRONG! How do you like the travertine deck? After already having problems w concrete coping 5 days after it was poured, I'm very, very hesitant to let PB have his concrete guy pour 1k sq ft of deck. I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money on travertine pavers (or concrete pavers), but I love the look.

Sorry to sidetrack on the thread.

To OP, I'm in the process of looking at tile right now. My PB uses national pool tile and is not giving me other options & hasn't answered me as to what is built into the contract price for tile. This is the part now where I feel I could comfortably finish building my pool as an OB. Anyway, I'm not helpful w tile choices, but I have been looking at other ceramic tiles from non-pool-specific places.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.