Opened the pool up. Green and swampy.

Mar 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well first opening went ok as far as equipment. Water was green and algea everywhere. So time to slam. I put what should have been enough bleach in to get to at least 10ppm (0 CYA right now) but the test is only showing 7.5ppm. Here are my readings:

FC: 2 (it clears right away then 10s later its pink again)
Or
FC: 7.5 (it stays clear)

CC: 3
TC: 5 or 10.5
CH: 225
TA: 160
CYA: 0

What should I.do about the CYA and what level of FC should I be shooting for?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

One test result I don't see is pH. Ideally, I would adjust that to somewhere between 7 and 7.5 before you begin the SLAM and then ignore it until the SLAM process is complete.

I would add enough granular CYA to get to 30 ppm. Add the CYA to an old gym sock or similar garment, tie it off and either hang it in front of a return jet or in the skimmer basket (since you will be running the pump 24/7 until you are done with the SLAM). Although it will take a couple of days for the granules to dissolve, assume the entire CYA dose is present in the pool for the purpose of chlorine dosage. Then dose FC to 12 ppm using liquid bleach and try to maintain that level throughout the SLAM. This will require you to test FC several times a day, at least at the start of the SLAM. FC demand will gradually reduce as the water clears.

Sorry missed the ph test. Did it quickly and got 8.2.

Also what is the correct reading for the FC the higher or lower one? I was only waiting like 10s and it would turn pink again.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP !
The two experts above got you covered.
If you have any debris in the pool get them scooped out as best you can. It'll take some time to clear, gotta have some POP. Pool owner patience ! ?

Because I've been reading a lot of the "cya to ammonia" threads the past couple of days I noticed something.

In the first post you said you added enough bleach to get you to FC 10, yet when you tested you only got FC 2. How soon after adding that bleach did you test?

Did your pool have CYA when you closed last year? How much?

From what I've just been reading the last few days here, if there's ammonia present there are high CCs and the FC gets eaten up really quickly. I've been reading about people adding bleach and testing 30 minutes later and it's gone. In the case of the ammonia being present I've also seen it recommended to wait on adding CYA until the ammonia is taken care of so it doesn't work against you.

Throwing in my 2 cents here...and deferring to the experts! Could just be a lot of algae eating up the FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There was about 4 hours between when I added the bleach and when I tested.

I didn't know what I was doing last year. Tbh so I just shocked it and went about closing it.

I added the acid and will check again to see what the levels are. I would have expected then to be higher than 2.

Heh poolpal says I needed 11lbs of stabilizer so I can see how that would take a bit to disolve.

Update on the pool:
(Shooting for FC of 12)

PH: 7.2
FC: 2.5 (man I cant get this up at all even put an extra jug of bleach in)
CC:12 (maybe this is why)
TA:110
CYA: something is there id guesd 10? Sock is soaking with enough stuff to make it 30.

I should be using liquid 8.25 bleach for the SLAM correct?

Thanks!

Bleach is a consumable item and needs to be replenished each time you test when you are doing the SLAM.

So, yes, keep putting bleach in to get back to your target value of 12 ppm. The CC's test being that high is sure indicative of ammonia. That means your FC will be consumed VERY rapidly when you first begin the SLAM.

Just keep bringing it back to 12 ppm each time and, eventually, the chlorine will kill all the ammonia and your pool will start to retain FC.

There is no reason to test for ANY of the other parameters while you are SLAMming....just the FC and CC's

More, more, more (said in a sing-song voice) bleach that is! Make all of the bleach bottles into a building and take a pic of it! LOL

It can be done. Once it is done it will be easy. You just have to get there first.

I wonder what you can do the next time you go to close the pool to keep from it going green?

I keep my pool open year round so have NO idea about closing. (We live in Florida)

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.