Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a bottom drain a good idea in above ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a bottom drain a good idea in above ground pool?

I am about to install a 18' x 52" above ground pool. A pool builders tells me to install a bottom circulate drain when installing pool. Is this helpful in keeping it clean? And how do I winterize it? I live in Manitoba, Canada.
    Last edited by Debbietbell; 04-27-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: to better clarify

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a bottom drain a good idea in above ground pool?

Welcome to TFP!

Having a bottom drain does improve water circulation, but it is very difficult to winterize a drain in an above ground pool and that often leads to problems down the line. I do not recommend getting a drain in an above ground pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am also installing a waterfall, will this be beneficial to the pool water in any way? I know I can winterize that with no problems.

4. Back To Top    #4

A waterfall provides aeration, which is sometimes useful and sometimes causes rising PH that you don't want.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School