DIY Pool Install?

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
I'd like to get some thoughts/opinions on self installing a smaller delivered fiberglass pool. My research is conflicting..

They can be had for $4,500-$12,000. $7,500 for something like a 20'x40'. Too good to be true?

For someone who is physically able to do this type of thing, and friends and family to assist, is this a viable way to save some serious cashola?

What types of things typically go wrong?

What do the other expenses add up to (equipment rental, etc.)?

Last year I had a 15X34 fiberglass pool installed and for EVERYTHING, including 700 sq ft of deck, I paid just under $30K. For prices on equipment like pumps, filters and cleaners, you might check AMAZON. Just use some of the equipment info in the various "signatures" on this site to check pricing. Also, if you go to the Tallman Pools web site, (located in GA) you can view the various models and they will send you pricing. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last year I had a 15X34 fiberglass pool installed and for EVERYTHING, including 700 sq ft of deck, I paid just under $30K. For prices on equipment like pumps, filters and cleaners, you might check AMAZON. Just use some of the equipment info in the various "signatures" on this site to check pricing. Also, if you go to the Tallman Pools web site, (located in GA) you can view the various models and they will send you pricing. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Did you do much of the work yourself? Such as excavating to spec and so forth? I'm wondering what kind of costs people incur as far as equipment rental and such.. I wonder if it's even really cost effective after all to attempt it...

Sorry - I didn't do anything but watch. I can put together a geat Margarita, but digging a huge hole isn't on my list. Seriously though, it was worth it to me to have the whole thing done for me. If I screw up, I beat myself up (not fun). I prefer to hold someone else accountable for such a large operation. And there were things like my lot being a bit tight which called for lifting the fibergalss shell over my house. I do know how much that was - ~ $4K. I hope you get everything together. Good luck!!

Hey, SUPERFLY -- How do you like your Pentaire 820?

Bear, so far it works great!! it sucked up everything I could see from outside the pool. plus 12 earthworms (apparently they are suicidal over here?!?!) but ive only ran it twice but so far i like it... easy to clean, relatively lightweight. and the caddy is convenient. however, i think i might of opted for the 830 model just so i could control it, just for cool factor alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.