Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Bubbles Coming Out of Return

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Bubbles Coming Out of Return

Good Morning!

I opened the pool yesterday and it appears I have one or two issues. I have a small like at the union between the pump and pump basket (just after basket, but before the hose that goes to filter). This leak is just a somewhat faster drip, but goes away when the pump is running. The second issue is that I get a A LOT of tiny air bubbles in return. I checked the o ring on the basket and lubed it, I also checked to see if the basket is draining when off, it was full of water this morning. If its a seal between the basket and pump, do I need to drain past the return to take it apart and re-seal or will the shut off valve before the basket and the filter set to closed allow me to disconnect and check the gaskets/seal. Also, would that tiny of leak cause that many air bubbles?
    24' Round AGP, 13,500 Gallons. 19" Ecco Sand Filter, 1.5 HP ecco pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air Bubbles Coming Out of Return

Yes on the valve between pool and pump. In addition, you will have to close the valve(s) after the filter.

You probably need to get the full seal kit for your pump, available at nominal cost. Get this before you shut everything down for replacing the seals.

Yes, a medium drip with the pump off that goes away with the pump on means you have essentially a suction side leak, and will pull air in and cause the bubbles you see in your return.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify, do I need to drain below the return before I disconnect the basket from the pump? I can close the valve between the basket and skimmer, but there is no valve between pump and return except for the the sand filter (except for multipart). FYI I have a typical above ground sand filter setup with nothing special.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use the multiport valve to shut off backflow to your pump, I think. May need clarification from another sand filter owner.

If you ever need to drain down your pool, it would be a good idea to add a pool rated valve after your filter, for just this reason.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can't do what Charlie suggested you can plug the return.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Good to go, closing the multipart and the valve before basket closed it off. Now I know why I had an extra gasket too! I swear I don't remember removing the basket from the pump last year (and since I apparently did, I have no idea why I put it right back on without the gasket). But anyway, put the gasket back on, buttoned it up and am good to go!

And by the way, I opened to crystal clear water after my first winter as a pool owner. Maintaining the pool has been surprising easy because of this site!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good job ! These methods are very easy once you gain the knowledge, which you have done.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Congrats on getting the job done, and having an algae free pool opening!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! Just did a chlorine loss test this morning to make sure everything is good and it is. Now I just have to wait a few weeks for the pool to warm up. On a side note, does anyone have any experience with liquid pool covers? Wondering if they even remotely work. I don't really want to have to mess with a solar cover.

10. Back To Top    #10

Everything I've read about them tells me that if there is any breeze at all, most of the liquid flows downwind. I'm thinking if you have a skimmer operating, it would get sucked into your filter as well.

All in all, my bet is that they are questionable at best.