Ammonia and high chlorine demand.

Jun 28, 2013
Augusta, GA
Well, seems that I am dealing with one of those instances where my CYA was converted into ammonia.

I am helping my folks open their pool in south jersey, and got a reading of 0 cya with my tf-100. Strange because they used nothing but tablets last year. Sooo, after 16 gallons of 10%, and 4 lbs of cya, I still cannot get my Fc to hold above 5, while my cc is between 7-11. Btw, 18000 gallon inground, covered all winter.
nu6apy4y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CYA addition may have turned some of it back into ammonia. Just keep adding chlorine, SLAM level. You'll burn through chlorine rather fast. It'll eat the ammonia up in time. Keep at it until you have CC of 0.5 and you can hold FC.

woodyp, CC around 15 is quite common when cleaning up CYA that turned into ammonia. The reaction that turns chlorine plus ammonia into CC runs very quickly, while the reaction that further breaks down CC runs much more slowly. Since the chlorine is getting used up very quickly in the first reaction, there isn't any left to drive the second reaction. The balance will shift later in the process, and CC will start to come down, but right at first very high CC levels are common.

Also keep in mind that one can do a bucket test with pool water to see the total chlorine demand. If it's extraordinarily high, then a partial drain/refill is another option to reduce the amount of chlorine needed if water isn't too expensive in your area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.