Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ammonia and high chlorine demand.

1. Back To Top    #1

Ammonia and high chlorine demand.

Well, seems that I am dealing with one of those instances where my CYA was converted into ammonia.

I am helping my folks open their pool in south jersey, and got a reading of 0 cya with my tf-100. Strange because they used nothing but tablets last year. Sooo, after 16 gallons of 10%, and 4 lbs of cya, I still cannot get my Fc to hold above 5, while my cc is between 7-11. Btw, 18000 gallon inground, covered all winter.

30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Ammonia and high chlorine demand.

The CYA addition may have turned some of it back into ammonia. Just keep adding chlorine, SLAM level. You'll burn through chlorine rather fast. It'll eat the ammonia up in time. Keep at it until you have CC of 0.5 and you can hold FC.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ammonia and high chlorine demand.

As of 0730, FC 4 CC 15. And I am out of liquid shock.

BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use regular bleach also. Your gonna have to go get some. Might take a fair amount.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Right now I am getting the 10% for about 3 bucks a gallon, and with the amount I am going through, i welcome the concentrate strength.

BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good. I know it's a pain but ......
    Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never seen a reading of 15CC and don't even know if it's possible. You sure about that?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

woodyp, CC around 15 is quite common when cleaning up CYA that turned into ammonia. The reaction that turns chlorine plus ammonia into CC runs very quickly, while the reaction that further breaks down CC runs much more slowly. Since the chlorine is getting used up very quickly in the first reaction, there isn't any left to drive the second reaction. The balance will shift later in the process, and CC will start to come down, but right at first very high CC levels are common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Jason. I just knew that around 3 or 4 CC is all I' have ever seen posted in testing results.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

Also keep in mind that one can do a bucket test with pool water to see the total chlorine demand. If it's extraordinarily high, then a partial drain/refill is another option to reduce the amount of chlorine needed if water isn't too expensive in your area.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"