Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level too high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level too high?

I moved this question i had in another section to here. I should have posted it here first...My circupool si45 is reading high salt sometimes i noticed. Its showing 4700ppm on the unit? It still says generating but the high salt level is flashing sometimes. If i need too lower the salt level, what level to i need to bring it down too and how much water should i expect to drain/add? Thanks guys
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Salt level too high?

Are you able to test for salt yourself ? I'm not sure how accurate the unit reads. If you can't I would get a salt test from Dave at TFTestkits.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Salt level too high?

Another member of the forum is having a very similar symptom. As long as the unit doesn't shutdown, I wouldn't worry about it. The salt level in the pool will tend to drift down over the course of the season, so the high salt warning shouldn't last that long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Another member of the forum is having a very similar symptom. As long as the unit doesn't shutdown, I wouldn't worry about it. The salt level in the pool will tend to drift down over the course of the season, so the high salt warning shouldn't last that long.
    We hope!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Like Jason said, I would leave it alone if it is generating and only giving a warning every now and then. But, if you are having problems use Pool Math, see the link in my signature, and plug in your values. To go from 4700 down to 4000 it says you should replace 15% of the water.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same unit and have been running around 4100-4400 salinity over the past few weeks. I'd probably do as ping suggested and replace some of the water.

Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Removed -> Hayward 1HP Super pump SP-1607-Z1-M

7. Back To Top    #7

Get a taylor r-1766 salinity tester if you're concerned. My Taylor test says it's 4000 now while both my instant and average on the control box say it's 4700. I'm not going to be draining water because of it. My cell has not stopped generating chlorine. My high salt led is always flashing. As long as I know what my salinity really is and is generating chlorine I'm not going to worry about it. If it should increase to over 5000 which is impossible if I'm not adding any salt then I'll really be concerned because I have some strangers in my back yard sabotoging my pool. I've got a sig sauer fix to that.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

timer... maybe the strangers are peeing in your pool!
    18x36 Inground 22000 gal Vinyl Lined sport pool \ P Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-rite 400SQ FT Cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 250K HD Heater, Pentair SunTouch Control System, Pentair IC40 SWG, 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Lights, Pentair Intellibrite lite Controller, Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

if you keep your percentage down to 95 unit will be happy
    mine only trips with high salt and 100 percent
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

10. Back To Top    #10

The unit will protect itself if salinity gets too high, so as long as it is generating there is no need to take action if you are sure the reading is fairly accurate. If you test your water and the unit is reading 400 ppm or more than actual, check the cell for debris; it only takes a little hair, grass, or lint stuck between the plates to affect the conductivity and result in a false reading. Excessive calcium buildup that bridges from one plate to the next can cause the same thing.
    Don Uhle, Discount Salt Pool

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Don, good to see you here! Guess I need to disconnect my cell again and flush it out or something as my instant was 4800 when I reinstalled the original unit-- since I got it back, the average has always been over 5000, and in the last few days, the instant has been as high as 5500. My Taylor k-1766 had consistently shown 4200 max and recently 4000 after heavy rains a week ago. During this whole time, it has been generating chlorine, and a high salt flashing light. Thank you and Juddy for your superb customer support!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

I was being told that I needed either a new mother board or a new salt cell (mine is 8 years old - way beyond the expected 3-5 years). After reading post after post on this forum and others, I took the mother board off to check the soldering for K1 on the back of the mother board, but it was fine. That suggestion did help many other readers. My salt is around 3300 but reads 1700 which turned the chlorinator off. I then found another suggestion to recalibrate the salt reading and now my pool is chlorinating and life is good again.

13. Back To Top    #13

Unfortunately I've been told there is no calibration possible on mine. The manual says to hold the status button to reset, but that doesn't do anything immediately seen.